2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 12:29 AM by Kaps

Import Multiple Files - mapping not retained

Kaps

Hi,

I am trying to import multiple files into Filemaker 13 from Excel. There are 7 file types - each has its own structure. There is a script for each file (so seven scripts). Each script does essentially the same thing - import the data from the file into the same table. So my files are called Transact, Novia, Raymond James, Other etc. The excel files are called Transact.xlsx, Novia.xlsx, Raymond James.xlsx, Other.xlsx.

If I run the Transact script once, then this works fine.

If I then run the Novia script, I find have to reset the field mapping for this file before re-running - otherwise the data is imported into the wrong columns.

Filemaker does not seem to remember the mappings of the individual files. Can anybody see why ? Thanks

kind regards

Kaps

• 1. Re: Import Multiple Files - mapping not retained
          steveromig

Hi,

I am trying to import multiple files into Filemaker 13 from Excel. There are 7 file types - each has its own structure. There is a script for each file (so seven scripts). Each script does essentially the same thing - import the data from the file into the same table. So my files are called Transact, Novia, Raymond James, Other etc. The excel files are called Transact.xlsx, Novia.xlsx, Raymond James.xlsx, Other.xlsx.

If I run the Transact script once, then this works fine.

If I then run the Novia script, I find have to reset the field mapping for this file before re-running - otherwise the data is imported into the wrong columns.

Filemaker does not seem to remember the mappings of the individual files. Can anybody see why ? Thanks

kind regards

Kaps

This should work as you expect it to.

I'd double check your "Specify Import Order" for each script you have to confirm it is doing what you really want it to do.  Your import order, and the fields the data is being imported into, could be wrong - especially if you duplicated your original script multiple times without changing the import order for the duplicated scripts.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Import Multiple Files - mapping not retained
            Kaps

Thanks. I remembered that you had to "Hardcode" the file initially and then delete this. It now works.

kind regards

Kaps