5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 7:57 AM by jormond

FM11 file inaccessible on windows after upgrade to FM14

iancoote

We have a project management database which we need to update from FM11 to FM14. We are currently using FM Server 11 and will update in due course, but to test the database is all ok on both windows and mac before we make the change over I wanted to run a couple of tests. I've taken a copy of our database and updated it locally on a mac using FM14. I've been able to log in with my username and password and all seems to work as it should. I've then transferred the FM14 version of the file to a pc laptop running windows 11 and FM14, but when I try and log in (with exactly the same credentials) I get a FileMaker Pro dialogue box pop up saying "The account and password you entered cannot by used to access this file. Please try again." If I try again the same thing happens 9 out of 10 times. On a handful of occasions it has logged in and worked, but the next time I try the same thing happens again?

I thought I'd try and take the original FM11 file and update it on FM14 on the PC, the update works, but then the same thing happens again.

Can anyone offer any advice on this. It's stopping us from ugrading.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: FM11 file inaccessible on windows after upgrade to FM14
          steveromig

We have a project management database which we need to update from FM11 to FM14. We are currently using FM Server 11 and will update in due course, but to test the database is all ok on both windows and mac before we make the change over I wanted to run a couple of tests. I've taken a copy of our database and updated it locally on a mac using FM14. I've been able to log in with my username and password and all seems to work as it should. I've then transferred the FM14 version of the file to a pc laptop running windows 11 and FM14, but when I try and log in (with exactly the same credentials) I get a FileMaker Pro dialogue box pop up saying "The account and password you entered cannot by used to access this file. Please try again." If I try again the same thing happens 9 out of 10 times. On a handful of occasions it has logged in and worked, but the next time I try the same thing happens again?

I thought I'd try and take the original FM11 file and update it on FM14 on the PC, the update works, but then the same thing happens again.

Can anyone offer any advice on this. It's stopping us from ugrading.

Thanks in advance.

Is the Mac logging in using a stored Keychain account name / password that might be getting entered incorrectly on the Windows side?

You can try this - add a new account name / password on the Mac - something simple (and temporary) and then copy it to the Windows machine and verify it still works.

Hard to say, but this might also be a subtle sign that the file is corrupted somehow but I'd use that as a last resort.  But if things continue to act strangely it might be worthwhile to recover the file and see if things behave better.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM11 file inaccessible on windows after upgrade to FM14
            jormond

Windows 11? Assuming you mean Windows 10...have you updated to the most recent version of FM 14? Are you sure that the caps lock or num lock is/not on?

• 3. Re: FM11 file inaccessible on windows after upgrade to FM14
              iancoote

Sorry, typo. I meant Windows 7 (getting confused with FM11) No number lock/caps lock isn't on.

• 4. Re: FM11 file inaccessible on windows after upgrade to FM14
                iancoote

No with the mac, i'm manually entering the username and password each time and the same with the pc version.

I'll have a a go with trying to add a new user and see if that makes any difference.

When you say 'recover the file' do you mean take another copy of the original? or is there a recovery process that I could try and follow?

• 5. Re: FM11 file inaccessible on windows after upgrade to FM14
                  jormond

Make a copy of the file...then under the "File" menu, there is a recover option. Run the recovery on the copy. See if (1) it turns up anything in the log file it generates, and (2) if the file works appropriately after.