7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 7:00 AM by mumu38

How to share FM accounts and passwords ?

mumu38

Hi everybody,

I made 3 FMP databases for a research institute. Two databases are linked to the third one which is a kind of address book (with all users and more). Users can access the databases as [Guest] or they may identify via FMP because I can't use the Active Directory. Thus, I need to recreate the user accounts for each database, which is really time consuming (> 250 accounts).

Users open the DB with WebDirect.

I'm trying to make another, simple DB, to use as a launcher so that users could identify themselves only once and then access the different DB. It doesn't work yet.

Is it impossible, or am I only doing it wrong ?

I think there's been some (old ?) discussions on that topic but I can't find the good one.

Thanks for any help

• 1. Re: How to share FM accounts and passwords ?
          wimdecorte

Why can't you use AD?

If you do want to use External Authentication and you really can not use AD then you can also create the accounts and groups in the OS of the FMS machine itself.   But if you have an AD then I would certainly push hard to use that.

• 2. Re: How to share FM accounts and passwords ?
            coherentkris

Why not combine the multiple files into one file?

+1 to Wim

• 3. Re: How to share FM accounts and passwords ?
              mumu38

I infer from your response that my method is a wrong one ?

Actually, the AD is not a local one but a national one. There are security issues and I'll never be allowed to use it.

I didn't try External Authentication because my programming competence is strictly limited to FMP (through thousands of hours of trial and errors, but it's addictive…).

Assuming that I'll be allowed to use the OS of the (Windows) FMS machine (which I doubt), which tools should I use to create the accounts ?

• 4. Re: How to share FM accounts and passwords ?
                mumu38

It's a good point, but the DBs address quite different purposes.

It would be more difficult to manage (≈ 70 tables, hundreds of fields and ≈ 80 scripts), and I would expect some leakage of confidential information due to programming mistakes.

• 5. Re: How to share FM accounts and passwords ?
                  wimdecorte

mumu38 wrote:

I infer from your response that my method is a wrong one ?

Yes, the accounts and associated privilege sets need to exist in each file.

If you want to use External Authentication with the local accounts and groups of the FMS machine then you need to use the OS features to create those accounts and groups.  Just as if you were adding a Windows user.

• 6. Re: How to share FM accounts and passwords ?
                    wimdecorte

mumu38 wrote:

Actually, the AD is not a local one but a national one. There are security issues and I'll never be allowed to use it.

Why?  That's what AD is for, to centralize authentication across a wide range of devices and applications.  IT departments typically are very happy to help you use it...

• 7. Re: How to share FM accounts and passwords ?
                      mumu38

Because I'm not a professional programmer , and it's the MOD, so they're (understandably) somewhat paranoid and they're severely undermanned.

How much I agree with your stupefaction, I have to make up with such constraints . The bright side is that it helps maintain my synaptic plasticity .

Anyway, I use my address book DB to include people that are not in the AD, such as temporary students.

I think that, if there's no other way, I could try to use a script that would create, in each DB, a duplicate any time one creates or modifies an account (would that work?).

It would not be very satisfying, but then users wouldn't have to play with several accounts (especially for DBs that some people should use very rarely). I'm trying to make DBs as user-friendly as possible.