2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 3:25 PM by karina

PDF printing Mac vs PC

doct

When I've pasted a PDF document, e.g., a form to complete, onto a layout and then print it, it looks great coming from my Mac and looks horrible if printed from a windows machine. Any added fields are nice and clean on both platforms. Has anyone come up with a workaround or solution for this? Are there options other than printing just the fields onto the PDF form that is pre-printed and already in a printer?  Have not had much luck with converting the PDF to a graphic and then pasting into the layout, anyone with success with this?

FMP Advanced 14

Thanks

• 1. Re: PDF printing Mac vs PC
          keywords

A few comments:

1.     Don't use copy and paste. You should be able to add a PDF directly onto a layout using Insert –> Picture.

2.     The problem with converting a PDF to a graphic is that you lose the PDF's inherent clarity—text is converted to pixels and will look fuzzy.

3.     To get a PDF or any image to look clear in print it needs to be a suitably high resolution in the first place, and you pay for that in file size, so use sparingly.

4.     You could experiment with storing the PDF form in a container field using FM's External storage. Then you only need the field on your layout, not the graphic itself. You might have to play around a bit with settings to get a printable result.

5.     I can't comment on the Mac/Windows difference, but that is probably coming from outside FM.

• 2. Re: PDF printing Mac vs PC
            karina

Hi,

You can drop your pdf in Filemaker.

In Acrobat Reader  on your windows machine change the settings in "Advanced print setup" and then select "print as image"

Greetz Karina