5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 8:29 PM by tommcin

Relationship Display Goes Blank

tommcin

I am running FM12 on OS X 10.11.1 and have a database with many elements in the relationship model. 

When I select one of the elements to move it, or some other action, the whole window goes white until the selected element is released.  If I click and drag, the element does move, I just can't track its movement.

Is there a limit on the number of elements in a Relationship Diagram or something else I can do to get the display to work.

Relationship diagrams work as expected in smaller databases.

• 1. Re: Relationship Display Goes Blank
          TSGal

tommcin:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro 12 was not certified to work with Mac OS X 10.11 nor Mac OS X 10.10  Do you know if the issue occurs under Mac OS X 10.9?

How many tables are in the Relationship graph?  Are there any external SQL data source tables in the Relationship graph?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Relationship Display Goes Blank
            tommcin

TSGal

I developed the database years ago so know it worked fine in older versions of OS X.  Not sure when it quit working as I suspended development for some time.

The database uses a separation model with the data in one DB and now has 23 tables.  The Interface DB sources all the data tables from the Data DB.   There are many items on the Interface Relationship Graph.

One option is to build a small similar test system using a separation model.

Another is to upgrade to the latest version of FM - something I hoped to avoid as I am not doing any  commercial development to offset the costs.   have been developing in FM for years and able to do many things I don’t want to try in other development platforms.

Thanks for your interest.

Tom

• 3. Re: Relationship Display Goes Blank
              tommcin

TSGal

Just built a 2 table Data DB and linked these tables to an Intf DB.   When I select a table in the Intf Relationship Graph both tables disappear until I release the mouse.   When I selected a field in one table to create a link to the other table, the display disappeared until the cursor was far enough outside the first table for the = box to appear then all displayed normally.

Tom

• 4. Re: Relationship Display Goes Blank
                TSGal

tommcin:

Thank you for the additional information.

Have you tried the same action in FileMaker Pro 14 (trial or full version)?  If the issue still occurs, then check for any plug-ins that may be installed and disable/uninstall them.  If there are any other applications running on your machine, quit out of all applications, launch FileMaker Pro, and try again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Relationship Display Goes Blank
                  tommcin

Ended up upgrading from FM12 to FM14 and the problem has gone away in both my little test db and in my big db.  Have to upgrade every second version of FM as FM11 does not get an upgrade price.

Tom