13 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 9:00 PM by illuminarti

Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database

RossHurley

This has been asked before by someone else but there was no answer. I tried to edit a script on a file hosted by FMS14 and found Manage Scripts greyed out. Is Manage Scripts/Script Workspace not available on files hosted by FileMaker Server? i've searched Knowledgebase, Help and the forum and haven't found any information on what you can access and what you can't on hosted databases.

• 1. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
          Extensitech

You can definitely edit scripts (and just about anything else) on a hosted file. I do it daily.

If manage scripts is greyed out, a couple of key possibilities come to mind:

• Are you sure you're logged in as a full access user, or with a privilege set that allows you to edit scripts? Is it possible you're getting automatically logged in as a user with less privileges? Try opening with the shift key (windows) or option key (mac) while opening and make sure you're logging in with the credentials you think you are.
          • Is it possible you have a script running? In the status area, can you see a "continue" button? Manage scripts is disabled while scripts are running.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 2. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
            RossHurley

Thanks Chris. Yes, I was logged in with the full admin account, and no, there were no scripts running. It was a freshly-opened file and all startup scripts had run. Of note though, under File>Manage, Layouts was greyed out as well as Scripts. Everything else was available, 

I take it from your reply, however, that scripts should be able to be edited on hosted databases?

Ross

• 3. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
              Malcolm

Are you on OS X ? Try switching to another application and then switching back. I sometimes see an issue - only with FMP - where the windows don't allow you to interact with them until you go away and come back.

• 4. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
                macwombat

Hi Ross.  You might have already answered this as you said you were logged in with a full admin account, but I just thought it was worth checking for sure ... in data viewer does the function Get ( AccountPrivilegeSetName ) return the following:

[Full Access]

• 5. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
                  siplus

I also had interference from a mobile phone with bluetooth turned on, placed near the client's iMac. Same thing and solution - click on the desktop, then click on Filemaker in the Dock. But problem repeated itself until he turned the bloody phone off.

• 6. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
                    Mike Duncan

Hi Ross,

Do you get an error if you try creating a new record or editing an existing record? I suspect the file may need to have the correct permissions set on the server.

Mike

• 7. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
                      RossHurley

Thanks all for your suggestions. It is on Windows, not Mac, but none of the suggestions made any difference. All users are able to use the system without trouble, but Scripts and Layouts are still both greyed out under File>Manage Database. Maybe whatever is happening will fix itself in the future. For the time being I will have to make changes to scripts off-line.

Ross

• 8. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
                        siplus

can you enter the debugger ?

• 9. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
                          Markus Schneider

i have had yesterday no layouts in the popup for layouts... Buttons that switched to other layouts worked perfect - but the popup remained empty (only the current layout was displayed)

restarting FileMaker helped. I think that there are still some glitches in the windows version of FM14..

can nobody edit scripts or is it just one machine? Menusets? Have You restartet the server?

• 10. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
                            RossHurley

It's been a while getting back to this issue - I have to get the busy client to do any on-site investigations for me. The issue was resoved when FMS was restarted.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Ross Hurley

• 11. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
                              rzamora

Where you able to solve this issue, I have the same issue.  Script Workspace is greyed out.  Manage>Layouts and Manage>Scripts is also greyed out and Get ( AccountPrivilegeSetName ) returns [Full Access].  I have restarted the server and have the problem persists.  I have tried different Adv. Pro versions to see if the problem was on the version, but to no avail (tried 15, 14, and 12) with 12 a get more problems.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 12. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
                                rzamora

Stopping and starting the server, does not help.  Rebooting the machine that host the server does not help.  I finally got it to work, by uninstalling and reinstalling.  Since this does not delete the database files you may hold, when it reinstalls it, the process does change the permissions on these files, which could have bee the initial issue.  The suggestion from Mike on checking the permission was a clue.  I did notice that before I reinstalled, the previous files did not have the fmserver as a user, they only had the fmsadmin as user.

• 13. Re: Can't access Manage Scripts on hosted database
                                  illuminarti

Yes, it seems to be a permissions issue; I ran into the same thing moving a backed-up database onto a new test server I was setting up: I was unable to manage layouts or scripts from the client. 

Changing the ownership of all the files for the database fixed the problem. On a Mac, if you're happy working in the terminal, you can stop the server, cd to the folder that contains the database files and change the permissions. Of course YMMV, make backups first, do this at your own risk, etc.

For instance, if everything is in the default place:

cd /Library/FileMaker\ Server/Data/Databases/

then change the permission on your database, and all the files inside it:

sudo chown -r fmserver folder_name

where folder_name is the name of the folder containing your database files (and change fmserver to something else if you used a different user name for the database service - if you still have the Sample database installed, see which user owns that).