1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 1:03 AM by Malcolm

Access File,maker Files from a web site

gobazz

I don't understand all I know about this subject <smile>

Can I host my Filemaker Data Base file on my web site and access it with my iPhone / iPad

Thanks   Best Wishes, Always    G. Boyce Bazzell (Bazz)

• 1. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
          Mike_Mitchell

You'll need to host the file using FileMaker Server. Just posting a file to a web site and allowing people to access it is asking for trouble. Like a damaged database.

You can either purchase a FileMaker Server license and run the server yourself, or use one of the many hosting providers available. Most of the hosting providers include web hosting, so you might be able to consolidate your web site onto a new provider.

Once the files are properly hosted, there's a standard called the FMP URL protocol that allows you to use a link on a web site to open the database. Use the Open URL script step to accomplish the task.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
            gobazz

Thank you Mike,   Does FMP Host provide web hosting also.  If not,  Would you have a suggestion of a good Hosting service that does.     THank you very much    Best Wishes,    G. Boyce Bazzell (Bazz)

• 3. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
              Mike_Mitchell

FMPHost.com does indeed provide web hosting. I have my side business web site and databases with them.

PointInSpace.com, Triple8.net, and WorldCloud.com are other options. There are additional providers, of course, many of which are excellent.

• 4. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
                hbecerra

Mike is right but just to be clear:

NO, you can't publish a File Maker File with just a web server of any kind (apache, IIS etc)

Short answer :

For a "personal/private" solution with just Filemaker Standard ($330) you can share your solution with an iPhone or an iPad works perfectly and really easy in a local network

For a "profesional/permanent" solution you need a FileMaker Server + a pack of at least 5 connections ± $  2.000 plus $1.000 for each additional 5 users.

• 5. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
                  bigtom

hbecerra wrote:

Mike is right but just to be clear:

NO, you can't publish a File Maker File with just a web server of any kind (apache, IIS etc)

Short answer :

For a "personal/private" solution with just Filemaker Standard ($330) you can share your solution with an iPhone or an iPad works perfectly and really easy in a local network

For a "profesional/permanent" solution you need a FileMaker Server + a pack of at least 5 connections ± $  2.000 plus $1.000 for each additional 5 users.

You can serve over WAN as well with FMP, but I do advise FMS.

• 6. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
                    gobazz

Thank all of you guys for responding to me.     What I want is just to be able to access my Filemaker database when I'm away from my office.    And I'm  cheap  <smile>   Are you aware of a basic Filemaker hosting service for $9.99 month.   Recently I saw one, but can't recall ...   The hosting fee for my web sites is reasinable with my hosting company, IXWeb Hosting.   Thanks again for helping me  Best Wishes,   G. Boyce Bazzell (Bazz)

• 7. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
                      bigtom

gobazz wrote:

What I want is just to be able to access my Filemaker database when I'm away from my office.   

How is FM hosted in your office? Do you have a static IP. How fast do you need the remote access to be? How often do you need remote access?

Web Direct is an option.

I do not know of a $9.99/month host, but I hope it works for you when you find it.

• 8. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
                        gobazz

Hi BigTom,   I just have my Filemaker 14 database on my iMac.    ??  static ip,  and ?? How FM is hosted. 

I need to remote access my Database almost every day.   Reasonable speed is OK 

$9.99 is probably just a pipe dream  <smile> <smile>    Thanks again    G. Boyce Bazzell (Bazz)

• 9. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
                          Mike_Mitchell

gobazz wrote:

Thank all of you guys for responding to me.     What I want is just to be able to access my Filemaker database when I'm away from my office.    And I'm  cheap  <smile>   Are you aware of a basic Filemaker hosting service for $9.99 month.   Recently I saw one, but can't recall ...   The hosting fee for my web sites is reasinable with my hosting company, IXWeb Hosting.   Thanks again for helping me  Best Wishes,   G. Boyce Bazzell (Bazz)

If this is a business database, I would ask this question: Is your business data worth more than $9.99 a month?

A web site is one thing. Most hosting providers have a lot of experience hosting web sites. Not many have expertise in FileMaker. (In fact, some that offer FileMaker hosting aren't really "into" FileMaker that much. They just offer it as one among many of their services.) And having FileMaker expertise when running Server is really important. There are some standard server management practices that don't work well in the FileMaker environment, and that can post risks to the stability and security of your solution.

So I would suggest you look for the best quality first, and not try to "get by on the cheap". Assuming you value your data, of course.  

• 10. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
                            Mike_Mitchell

I recommend against using Pro or Advanced to host a database, especially on the open WAN. Pro is not intended for that service, and you'll be opening up your computer to all the potential hacks and attacks that come with being attached to the open Internet as a server (which is essentially what you're doing when you go with peer-to-peer hosting). For short periods, maybe for testing, you could do it, but it's extremely risky, both to the data and to your computer.

• 11. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
                              bigtom

FMP and FMPA can host your file out to the world so you can access it.

This is easiest if you office has a static IP address (It never changes). Ask your internet provider of you already have it or how much to add it if you dont have it already. Some providers offer this at $4.99/month.

After that you set a few setting in your router/modem and you will be able to access your file from outside.

Small notes:

FMS is better but given that it seems you have a small business that is not likely a hacking target you should be ok using only FMP. There is more risk. You can minimize the risk by turning off sharing while you are in the office and turning it on when you need it.

You you have to set your iMac to never let the HD sleep. Display off is ok but the computer must always be on to allow access.

• 12. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
                                RickWhitelaw

BigTom,

Even small business can store data that is not only important but that is confidential. In most countries this rule is legally enforceable. I'm speaking of SSN,SIN,HST and VAT numbers among others. It' not responsible to open up this data on an open connection. Transmission to and from FileMaker  Server is another matter but it can be resolved with SSL.

Rick.

• 13. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
                                  bigtom

I understand the security issues, but the OP is looking for the cheapest way to have remote access.  Possibly he does not store any highly sensitive data.

I do advise FMS and SSL.

• 14. Re: Access File,maker Files from a web site
                                    gobazz

What I'm hearing seems to be, go with FMPHost.com   right.   Are you saying when I'm out of town or in town my computer has to be on at alltimes for me to access my data.    All I'm looking for is contact info.   Suppose I could export (csv) my Filemaker records (1400) Open them in Numbers in the Cloud  and when out of my office, access what I need from my iPhone and iPad,  telephone numbers, address etc.   Wouldn't that work  Best Wishes, Always     G. Boyce Bazzell (Bazz)

1 2 Previous Next