7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 8:21 AM by wfgclapp

FMGo "xxx.fmp12 is damaged" error

wfgclapp

Hello all,

First, FMS14, FMPA14, FMGo14. All except the very latest updates. These are all files hosted from server.

But this has been going on a while, since I started developing in Filemaker about a year ago (FM13).

All my solutions are for FMGo and I have seen this in all solutions (5 of them).

On a fairly frequent basis (easily once a day) my 30-40 users are, upon launching a solution from the Launch Center, seeing an error pop up that reads:

"Error   The file 'xxx.fmp12' is damaged and cannot be opened. Use the desktop product's Recover command to recover this file."

When I tap "OK" I get a dialog box saying connection with the host is lost. I log out of the file and back in and all is well.

I have never used the Recover feature (don't really know how and am scared to).

This seems to happen most often when I have the file open on my device, the device is locked, and I make a change to the file in FMPA. When I unlock the device I see the error. However, I have also seen this error when I have not been in FMPA all day but have been in and out of the Go solution (though this is a more rare occurrence). 

I have the solution running on various versions of iPhones, iPads, and iOS. And with users spread over 4 states, so all kinds of networks. And I see the same errors myself on our fiber connection here in the office.

My users are getting frustrated and it is affecting adoption of some otherwise very slick stuff we've done with Filemaker in the last year.

I have seen this in all 5 of the Go solutions I have built. Some solutions are simple, some are more complex. I can't see a common thread between the solutions if there is one.

Is this a red herring error or are ALL my files somehow all corrupted? How might I tell?

I've been developing in Filemaker for only about a year so hopefully there is something silly I'm missing or not doing. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: FMGo "xxx.fmp12 is damaged" error
          coherentkris

I would open the file with FM desktop and run an all options recover to see if FM finds any errors in the suspect file.

No reason to be scared of recover.

It will take the original file and make a copy of it and prompt you in the process so you dont overwrite the original.

Just don't try to use the recovered copy for anything

• 2. Re: FMGo "xxx.fmp12 is damaged" error
            Mike_Mitchell

It sounds less like actual corruption and more like connection disruptions. If you're using "all kinds" of networks, is there one particular network that is more prone? How stable is the networking?

Situations like this often prompt me to think more in terms of a local database with syncing rather than trying to open the file directly on the server. Communication interruptions can cause file corruption, but it's rare (especially when the file is Server-hosted). (This is FileMaker Server, right? Not a workgroup share?)

• 3. Re: FMGo "xxx.fmp12 is damaged" error
              wfgclapp

OK, I've recovered and the result reads, "Recover built a new database without detecting any problems..."

• 4. Re: FMGo "xxx.fmp12 is damaged" error
                wfgclapp

Yes, this is FMServer14. But, it's running in a VMware environment on servers that around 7 years old. And the server does seem very slow at times. Maybe a hardware issue?

"All kinds of networks" : not sure about which would be most prone, but my one in office (fiber) should be most stable and I see these errors in the office as well.

• 5. Re: FMGo "xxx.fmp12 is damaged" error
                  Mike_Mitchell

wfgclapp wrote:

Yes, this is FMServer14. But, it's running in a VMware environment on servers that around 7 years old. And the server does seem very slow at times. Maybe a hardware issue?

Possible. Have you run any performance metrics on the server? How about the statistics section of FMS?

"All kinds of networks" : not sure about which would be most prone, but my one in office (fiber) should be most stable and I see these errors in the office as well.

Might be a bad network card in the server or in a router somewhere nearby. Something all the traffic has to pass through?

• 6. Re: FMGo "xxx.fmp12 is damaged" error
                    craigofvt

I encountered a similar situation.  FM 14 db hosted on an imac via client (ie no server), file is open and hunky dory on the host.  A windows computer on the local network tries to connect and gets the damaged and can't open error.  I run verify on the db on a server, no errors.  I try recover on the file no errors.  I load the same db on to a remote FM 14 server and the windows computer is able to connect fine. 

• 7. Re: FMGo "xxx.fmp12 is damaged" error
                      wfgclapp

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

wfgclapp wrote:

Possible. Have you run any performance metrics on the server? How about the statistics section of FMS?

Might be a bad network card in the server or in a router somewhere nearby. Something all the traffic has to pass through?

Our network/server admin has looked at the server and can't see any issues. Unfortunately I had not looked at the FMS statistics and I've since rebooted (so they're cleared). I'll be sure to do that next time I see the error.

I'll get our network admin to investigate bad cards.

Thanks for the ideas!