1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 1:51 PM by SteveMartino

Seeking tips on how to best create this Search/Report Form

Appogee

Hi Filemaker Gurus.  I'm new to Filemaker, and would greatly appreciate if you could point me in the right direction on how to create the following form and functionality.

I'm creating an app which stores an inventory in table.  Each record in the table contains several fields recording the various attributes of that inventory item.

I want users to be able to search their inventory by selecting from a series of drop down filters.   Users will see a table below their filters, and as they select filters, the records shown in the table will be progressively whittled down so that only those records which match the combination of filters are shown.

I created an image to illustrate what I have in mind, in case it helps...

App Search Design Idea.jpg

I'm not sure what would be the best way to create the above...?    

I want to completely "buttonise" this for easy use by novice users.  That is, I don't want them to have to interact with the Filemaker UI, go into Find mode, etc etc.

Do I need to create a Portal showing records from the current table, and then build the use selections into a progressive search string which is applied to the Portal?

Or, there's probably a much easier way to do what I'm attempting?

As always, thanks in advance for any pointers you can give me!