3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 6:54 AM by wfgclapp

FMS14 Error 701 - fmse terminated abnormally

wfgclapp

FMS14, FMPA14, FMGo14

Been working in Filemaker a year or so and never seen this happen (until now).

Twice now this week I have gotten an Error 701 (FileMaker Script Engine process has terminated abnormally) on my server.

I only checked the server logs on the most recent instance of the Error. Just before the 701 error there was an error 3 (command unavailable, wrong OS, etc.). The Error 3 referenced a script step that is indeed incompatible with server. Might this then cause the 701 error? I realize I could test this pretty easy but I only have a live server so I don't want to test without a good idea that might be the right direction.

I know what is causing this Error 3 and it is a step that has been in all my scheduled scripts for over a year. So, it's nothing new. So maybe the Error 3 is a red herring.

Any general thoughts on what might cause this 701 error? I have lots of scheduled scripts running very often so it really screws me up.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: FMS14 Error 701 - fmse terminated abnormally
          alecgregory

What minor version of FileMaker Server 14 are you using? And on what OS?

I think earlier versions of FMS14 had an issue with the FMSE, but 14.0.3 came with a note that "This software addresses an issue where the FileMaker Script Engine (FMSE) caused the Database Server to stop responding."

• 2. Re: FMS14 Error 701 - fmse terminated abnormally
            wfgclapp

alecgregory wrote:

What minor version of FileMaker Server 14 are you using? And on what OS?

I think earlier versions of FMS14 had an issue with the FMSE, but 14.0.3 came with a note that "This software addresses an issue where the FileMaker Script Engine (FMSE) caused the Database Server to stop responding."

Ah!!   I'm on 14.0.2.226 and, honestly, thought that was the latest version, so I didn't even think about checking release notes. Must have slipped by me. I'll try updating first. THanks!

• 3. Re: FMS14 Error 701 - fmse terminated abnormally
              wfgclapp

UPDATE: Problem first happened 12/2/15. Then again 12/4/15.

I was on FMS14 ver 14.2.2.226 (Win Server 2008) and had been for a while.

On 12/4/15 I updated to FMS14 ver 14.0.4.413 (latest) and did not see the problem again until this morning (12/16/15).

Looked at FMS logs and the only thing that seems common is that fairly soon before FMSE terminating, the server saw a "Scripting Error (3)" in one of the scheduled scripts (though not the same script each time. This error is a script step that is not compatible with server but the step has been in my scripts forever ;-) and is hit dozens of times each day without failing.

I wonder though if errors like these (the error 3) pile up over time and make the FMSE crash.

Who knows.