1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 2:09 AM by tomasd

So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4

alice07

Product and version FileMaker Pro Adv 14.0.4

OS and version Windows 10

Description Don't know if related to 14.0.4 or windows update 1511 (they came about the same time), but I'm having so many crashes occurring in several situations: editing scripts, database layouts.

• 1. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
          TSGal

alice07:

Thank you for your post.

Currently, the only issue reported by customers with Windows 10 is hyphen characters now appear as checkbox characters under certain scenarios when the Threshold 2 update (1511) has been applied.  There have been no crash issues reported specific to Windows 10.

Does the crashing occur with all database files or just a specific file?

Create a new user account, login to the user account, launch FileMaker Pro 14.0.4 and see if crashing continues.  If crashing continues to occur, I would uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro.  If crashing does not occur under the new user account, then you will need to do some sleuthing to determine what is different between the two user accounts.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
            alice07

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately crashes still occur. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall FMProAdv14.0.4 (32bit version) but nothing has changed.

Windows has released a new build for 1511 update (10586.17 - 64 bit version) but still no results.

I mainly use one big file (plus some small complementary) and two user accounts, admin and user. Logins are internally handled. All development is made under the default admin user.

The greatest number of crashes occur saving script modifications. They are saved but then program crashes. Sometimes it also occur modifying database.

I'm afraid this will take to file corruption sometimes or other.

Thanks,

Paolo

• 3. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
              TSGal

alice07:

You mention that you "mainly use one big file", so it's not clear to me if the crashing is occurring with other files.  Can you confirm?

The next time the crash occurs, write down the steps you were taking just before the crash.  For example, "switching layouts" or "running a script".

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
                alice07

Hi,

with "mainly use one big file" I mean that 90% of the changes are made in same main big file, so I cannot get crashes in files I rarely modify.

Last five/six crashes occurred while saving all scripts from menu after modifications.

Before that  I got an application crash after saving database modifications.

I normally work with no problem, and suddenly app crashes. In that moment I can recall only few steps before crashing and they are always while saving modifications to scripts/database.

Thanks

• 5. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
                  TSGal

alice07:

If the crash usually occurs "while saving all scripts", then I would like to see a clone of your database file so I can test it here.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
                    Steve Wright

Just thought I would chime in here...

When I posted about the character issues, which had previously been reported, I also mentioned instability with FM pro, major instability.

Re: FMPA 14v4 or Win 10 (v1511) - Character problems in script workspace

To enable me to get back to developing, since I was using Windows 10 Pro, I was able to defer updates, but also able to roll back to the previous version, via Windows 10 recovery options > Go back to an earlier build.

Just to confirm that this resolved the character issues and all instances of FM crashing.

Therefore, I would assume that Windows 10 1511 and FileMaker Pro 14.04 are not compatible, not if you want to keep your sanity.

Running Pre W10 1511 (I forget the build no), FileMaker has been extremely stable, although seems to perhaps have a memory leak, reaching 2-3gb, for what would normally be <500mb of ram usage compared with FM13.  I just hope FMI can resolve it before I am forced to update.

Steve.

• 7. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
                      TSGal

alice07:

I received your sample file.  Thank you.

Under Windows 10 (and Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.11.2), I am unable to make FileMaker Pro 14.0.4 crash.  I've also tried editing and saving scripts other than the two you listed.  Is there a certain amount of attempts it takes before it crashes?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
                        alice07

Hi,

would like to say so, unfortunately it is random.

Attached a case after two or three minutes working on 2 scripts.

crash.png

• 9. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
                          TSGal

alice07:

Have you applied the new Windows 10 update?  One other issue (hyphens appear as boxes) was fixed with this update.

Create a new user account on your machine and see if you can replicate the crash.

Do you have access to another machine?  If so, temporarily use that machine to see if you can replicate the crash.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
                            alice07

Hi,

that's really difficult for me to use different account. I would need to switch continuously from one to another and I can't manage it.

Windows update are installed regularly while crashes are getting any worse.

Is there a way to activate a verbose logging to give you information about situation ?

Thanks,

Paolo

• 11. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
                              TSGal

alice07:

My apologies for not making myself clear.  I should have said "Temporarily create a new user account on your machine and see if you can replicate the crash".  If it doesn't crash, then we can focus on your original user account.  If it does crash, then we can focus on FileMaker Pro and Windows 10.  After the testing is complete, you can delete the new user account.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
                                alice07

Hi,

sorry that's my fault, I didn't realize what you meant.

I have created a new local account and worked for a while.

I got a crash after some minute working.

Two windows were open in layout mode,

manage layout was open (which always slows everything down)

Scripts editor was open and I was saving modifications

Thanks,

Paolo

• 13. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
                                  TSGal

alice07:

Thank you for testing the new user account.

Is the database file being hosted?  That is, are you accessing the file remotely or locally?

Does this crashing occur with multiple database files or just one specific file?

Do all of these crashes occur within the Script Workspace?  There have been some crash issues reported working within the Script Workspace under Windows (7, 8, 10).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: So many crashes in FMProAdv14.0.4
                                    alice07

Hi,

file is only accessed locally.

I have only one quite big file (the one I have sent, which at start opens 3 more accessory files).

Crashes occurs mostly within script workspace, but also frequently within database management.

If there is any other attempt I can make, please tell.

Thanks,

Paolo

1 2 Previous Next