3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 4:05 AM by KevinSmith

Manage Containers dialog box... "New" and "Edit" buttons greyed out

TomMcBride

Hello everyone,

I am trying to set up/edit the Base Directory for container fields in a database.  I am running FileMaker Server version 13.0.2.295 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard box.  No matter which database I open on that server, when I go to File>Manage>Containers the "New...", "Edit..." and "Delete" buttons are all greyed out in the "Manage Containers" dialog box.  When I do this, I am logged in with the admin (Full Access) account so I'm guessing it isn't a FileMaker permissions issue.  I was thinking it might be a Windows permission issue, but I am not sure how since I am able to upload new databases without errors.

• 1. Re: Manage Containers dialog box... "New" and "Edit" buttons greyed out
          steveromig

Hello everyone,

I am trying to set up/edit the Base Directory for container fields in a database.  I am running FileMaker Server version 13.0.2.295 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard box.  No matter which database I open on that server, when I go to File>Manage>Containers the "New...", "Edit..." and "Delete" buttons are all greyed out in the "Manage Containers" dialog box.  When I do this, I am logged in with the admin (Full Access) account so I'm guessing it isn't a FileMaker permissions issue.  I was thinking it might be a Windows permission issue, but I am not sure how since I am able to upload new databases without errors.

You cannot create, edit, or delete a base directory if the database is hosted on a different computer.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Manage Containers dialog box... "New" and "Edit" buttons greyed out
            TomMcBride

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response.  Does this mean that in order to modify the base directory for any databases hosted on a Filemaker Server I need to actually close the database, copy it to a local machine, modify it there and then re-upload the modified version back to the server and overwrite the old database?  There is no way to do this on the server itself?

• 3. Re: Manage Containers dialog box... "New" and "Edit" buttons greyed out
              KevinSmith

I've confirmed that it's not possible to add a new container location via the "manage containers" dialogue. I've tried on FileMaker Server 14 running Windows and Mac. Here's the official notification. You'll see it amongst the bullet points in the section "Managing external storage of container data".

If you need to convert a hosted file to have external storage of a container field it's necessary to first take the file off-line in order to specify the new container location. Once that's completed the file can be shared-out again on the server.

The next step can be done while the file is live on the sever: changing the field definition to say "Store container data externally." The good news is that the transfer activity to relocate the file will always be done locally on the server. The files won't be transferred via the client machine from where the request was generated.

The final step is for the space left by the removed containers to be reclaimed. If you did the conversion while the file was hosted, then the reclaiming of the space will take place the next time you stop sharing-out the file. You'll know it's happening because you won't be able to access the file for the duration of the process and at the end of it you'll see the file size shrink down.

So that's the process to follow in order to have the advantage of ensuring that the container data is automatically placed in the correct storage location. The disadvantage is that it requires two restarts of the file.