1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 10:40 PM by axana

FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?

axana

Product and version FileMaker Server 14.0.4

OS and version Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.1

Hardware Xserve (Early 2009), 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon, 48 GB RAM

Browser and version Safari, last version.

Description

Our FileMaker Server v13, under Mac OS X 10.10.x started crashing often, many weeks ago.

We updated it from the initial 8 GB to 20 GB up to the current 48 GB, upgrading also Mac OS X and FileMaker Server to the last available versions, 14.0.4. Now crashes every day.

Under FMS version 13, it crashed randomly, but when we installed a server script that ran every 15 minutes, it started crashing every day,

We disabled all scheduled scripts, except for backup scripts, updated OS and FMS to the last version, upgraded the RAM to the maximum allowed, but it still keeps crashing.

Usually there are 20-30 active users. No WebDirect used. Some users access the server using PHP.

In the system logs there are hundreds of messages like:

fmserverd[19944]: LaunchServices: Database mapping failed with result -10822, retrying

fmserverd[19944]: LaunchServices: received XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INTERRUPTED trying to map database

When the server doesn't crash, the FMSE crashed, not allowing the scheduled scripts to complete.

Schedule “Update Group Company ID Ser” aborted: FMSE not active

Does somebody experience this same issue?

Thank you.

How to replicate It just happens every day, once or more times a day. But no clue how to trigger it.

Workaround None

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
          TSGal

axana:

Thank you for your post.

If FMSE is crashing, this is due to schedules.  I realize you disabled all scheduled scripts except for backup scripts, but the line:

Schedule "Update Group Company ID Ser" aborted: FMSE not active

... doesn't sound like it is a backup script.  Can you confirm?

I would also narrow this down further by splitting out the backups into separate schedules.  This may provide a clue to which file cannot backup or is causing the crash.

The multiple "fmserverd[19944]" lines that appear in the system logs generally do not cause an issue.  I have seen this before, and the server still runs without issues.  However, it has been reported to Development and Testing as to a cause, but this is still under investigation.

The next time the crash occurs, can you post the crash report up to and including the crashed thread?  This may also help determine the cause of the crash.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
            axana

HI TSGal,

you are right: "Update Group Company ID Ser" is not a backup script, but it's no more active, and the server keeps crashing.

But I included it because the FMSE crashed before executing that script, and that was the error I received each time.

Thank you for the suggestion to split the backup into separate schedules. I will use this tip for sure. Anyway, we have a backup scheduled at 6 PM, but usually the server always crashes in a different time. So I think it's not related to backups.

I have the crash reports, where can I post them for you?

About the multiple "fmserverd[19944]" lines, these appears almost every time the server is restarted. It seems to me a misconfiguration of the sandbox and, yes, they seems to be not an real issue, in this case, but it's good to know that this is going to be resolved.

Thank you

Kind regards

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
              TSGal

axana:

Thank you for the additional information.

Our Testing department would like to see your crash reports as well as all files under:

Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
                axana

Thank you,

the server crashed again, and I've sent you the last crash reports.

Kind regards

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
                  TSGal

axana:

I received your files.  Thank you.

The crashes files show some different errors, although several are ODBC related.  I have asked Development and Testing for help interpreting several of these reports.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
                    TSGal

axana:

Development said that almost all of these reports appear to be due to memory corruption or crashes in the Actual Open Source Databases driver.  The reports do not see what version of the driver being used, and the version may not be compatible with Mac OS X 10.11.  You should contact Actual Technologies directly.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
                      axana

Hi TSGal,

thank you very much.

It would be useful to know where should I look for the errors you mentioned (memory corruption and Actual Drivers) in the reports (what are the errors that gave the Development team a clue about the issues), so I can spot them in the future.

Also, the oldest reports are probably with memory corruption errors, but we changed the whole set of RAM, so they should not occur anymore. If this happens, it would be good to know how to verify what RAM banks are good. I think a good diagnostic tool should be enough for that, or is there a way to know it from the reports?

Thank you

Kind regards

• 8. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
                        TSGal

axana:

In many of the crashed threads, there are ODBC entries along with atopnsrc.so (Actual Technologies).  The "memory corruption" is generally memory allocation issues, as this would show up as "libsystem_malloc.dylib" entries.  For example, in the crashed thread of 25 Nov, this appears, and two threads prior shows atopnsrc.so, as this probably contributed to the crash.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
                          axana

Thank you very much, TSGal.

I will update this thread with Actual's response.

Kind regards

• 10. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
                            johnm

We had a similar problem with the ODBC driver when trying to move large blocks of text ( not sure what the minimum was, but our max was over 8000 characters in a field). Our resolution was to re-engineer the process using Microsoft SSIS to pull the data from Filemaker to a SQL table. Hopefully that at least gives you something to look at.

Regards,

John

• 11. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
                              axana

Thank you, John.

Even if we don't have such big fields, I'll check it anyway.

Kind regards

• 12. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
                                TSGal

axana:

I received your latest email.  Thank you.

Your message did not include a crash report, so I cannot determine the cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
                                  TSGal

axana:

I received your crash report.  Thank you.

This crash report is different, and I have sent it to Development and Testing for further review.

From your original crash reports, Testing is having difficulty replicating the issue.  However, Development would like to know if removing PHP will solve the issue?  Also, if you remove ODBC connections, will it solve the issue?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Server 14.0.4 crashing every day, FMSE issues?
                                    TSGal

axana:

I was not reading the crashed thread.  As Testing pointed out, the crashed thread does show it is the same issue with ODBC and Actual Technologies driver.  See lines 12-21 of crashed thread 52.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next