8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 11:01 AM by wimdecorte

Perform script on server

Kaps

Hi,

I'm trying to run a script on the server but get an error "Host capacity was exceeded" try again later. can somebody give me some background on why this is happening ? Thanks

kind regards

Kaps

• 1. Re: Perform script on server
          coherentkris

You get this when the server is being asked to accept a connection and it is already at max connections. When you run PSOS it consume a connection

The host's capacity was exceeded, try again later.

• 2. Re: Perform script on server
            wimdecorte

FMS has a setting for how many PSoS sessions it should handle.  Default is 25.

You can get that error because either that # is being exceeded or perhaps the FMS script engine has died.

Exceeding the limit will be reported in the FMS event log, so look there first.

The latter can be fixed by running a command line on the server:

fmsadmin restart fmse

You do not need to kick any users off the server for that.

Either way your code needs to handle these types of errors and branch around them, by either aborting the workflow or handing it locally (instead of through PSoS)

• 3. Re: Perform script on server
              monkeybreadsoftware

Sounds like the PSoS needs an extra session.

Does that mean we need concurrent sessions for PSoS?

• 4. Re: Perform script on server
                wimdecorte

Christian Schmitz wrote:

Does that mean we need concurrent sessions for PSoS?

Not entirely sure what you asking for here.

Some of the points that I have making since PSoS has been introduced are:

1. the # of PSoS sessions is governed by a setting in FMS, the default is 25
                2. as developers we can not blindly assume that the server has not reached that capacity or that the FMS scripting engine is actually running; so we need to check for errors and handle them (loop-and-wait, handle the task locally, abort the process gracefully,...)
                3. as deployers we can not blindly assume that the server is actually up to the task of handling x number of virtual client sessions.  It turns the FMS box from a pure database server machine to an application server machine so it needs the spare capacity in all 4 of the traditional bottleneck areas: processing power, memory, disk i/o and network i/o.   The FMS stats log will help with that.  When we develop, using PSoS may seem faster if we are the only one working on it, but that may not hold up in real life if the FMS box is starved for resources.
                • 5. Re: Perform script on server
                  wimdecorte

Realizing that I may come across as snubbing the PSoS feature: I absolutely love it.  But it is a feature that comes with a price; both in development thinking and deployment thinking.

• 6. Re: Perform script on server
                    NickLightbody

For an in depth consideration of what you can expect of FMS please see this report:

Understanding FileMaker Server

http://www.deskspace.com/filemaker_server_performance_introduction.html

The dsBenchmark testing uses PSoS

Cheers, Nick

• 7. Re: Perform script on server
                      Kaps

Thanks. The default setting of PsOS on our server is 25.

There are only 4 users at any one time. So we clearly have enough connections.

In order to diagnose the fault we simplified the script on the server to the single line "Hello World" in a custom dialogue, and got the same error.

Any thoughts ?

• 8. Re: Perform script on server
                        wimdecorte

Kaps wrote:

In order to diagnose the fault we simplified the script on the server to the single line "Hello World" in a custom dialogue, and got the same error.

That will not work.  "Show custom dialog" is not a server-compatible script step.