5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 1:24 PM by TSGal

FileMaker Server/Client 14.0.4 -- bug (?) in updating field values in a record

maser

A user showed me this behavior, so I need to ask (1) is it expected behavior or (2) is there a client setting that would alleviate this behavior:

FileMaker Server and client 14.0.4 -- running on Mac OSX 10.11.1

Client user opens the "FMServer_Sample" database (so you can reproduce this with a vendor-supplied database)

Client user edits the "Project" field in the first record (i.e., change "Launch web site" to "Launch web site test"

Client user tabs to "Project Tag" and edits "narketing" to "marketing test".   Hits return.

So two field values for that record have been changed.

Client then closes laptop lid.   Client *does not quit the database, nor does the client change to another record*.

A *different* client opens FM 14.0.4 and connects to the FMServer_Sample database.

The changes "entered" by the first client -- are not seen by this second client.

First client wakes up their laptop -- still sees the changes ("test" additions) he made.  

At this point *if* the first client changes to a different record (or closes the database) or clicks around to select one of the different "projects" on that layout , then his edits are committed to the server database.

So our question -- is this expected behavior?   Where an edit and "entering" of a new field value in a record is not committed to a server database until the user actually changes records or does something else (i.e., closing the file, switching records, etc) that would update the database?

Are we missing something that would push an immediate field update to a record?   A setting on server?   A setting on client?   Something else?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server/Client 14.0.4 -- bug (?) in updating field values in a record
          TSGal

maser:

Thank you for your post.

This is normal behavior.  Edits to a record will not be accessible to other clients until the record is committed.  One way is to click outside a field that makes no field active.  Another option is to use an OnObjectSave or OnObjectExit script trigger that performs a "Commit Records" script step.  That way, when a user exits a field, any changes to the field will be committed to the database file.  Still, if a user is editing a field and puts the machine to sleep, the field will still be inaccessible until the user exits the field.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server/Client 14.0.4 -- bug (?) in updating field values in a record
            maser

I think I may not have explained it properly.

What I'm seeing is that the user *is* exiting the field (as indicated in my steps above with the default sample FMS database) when entering something in the "Project" field and then tabbing to the "Project Tag" field.

But the change to a field is not being committed to the database just by moving to the second field -- it's only committed by moving to another record.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Server/Client 14.0.4 -- bug (?) in updating field values in a record
              TSGal

maser:

You don't need to move to another record.  Just click outside of a field, as this will then commit the changes to the record, and then other clients will be able to see those changes.

Using the FMServer_Sample file, if you change the Project name, tab to the Project Tag and change, tab to the Description and change, and tab back to the Project name, all three changes will not appear in the client records.  Not until you commit the record, and one quick way to do this is click on the large text characters "Launch web site" at the top.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Server/Client 14.0.4 -- bug (?) in updating field values in a record
                maser

OK.  So this would be "expected behavior" then?

(We had a couple of users who complained of "missing data" because apparently their workflow is to:

1)  Edit fields in a record  (while connected to the VPN which allows access to the FMS)

2)  Do nothing else to the record

3)  Close their laptop lid (which disconnects from the VPN)

4)  Reopen the laptop lid later -- which prompts that they are disconnected from the FMS (correctly).

5)  The changes -- that they still see on the screen when they opened their laptop (thinking the database was updated) -- were never committed.

In this apparently-not-uncommon workflow...

• 5. Re: FileMaker Server/Client 14.0.4 -- bug (?) in updating field values in a record
                  TSGal

maser:

This is expected behavior.  If the record isn't committed, other users will not see the changes.

If clients are closing their laptops frequently, you may want to consider adding script triggers to each field that commits the record.  That way, only the last field being edited when the laptop is closed will not be available to other users.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.