1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 8:26 AM by BruceRobertson

How do emulate the FileMaker search box

g4guitar

I know I am probably missing the obvious here so apologies in advance.

I have a table called 'Contacts' and a Layout called 'Contacts' I have a search box set up so I can type in lets say the name Steve and it finds anyone with Steve in their name. The script I use looks for names in the c_FullName' field that contain 'Steve in the field. The script is as follows.

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 6.37.15 PM.png

My problem

I have a layout called 'Class' with 7 different fields called Student1, Student2, Student3, etc. The setup is basically identical to the above except for one thing. The student fields ( Student1, Student2, Student3, etc.) are via a value list sourced from the Contacts table so even though I see the name of the student what the search sees is the Id number of the student fields. This means when I look for a name in the search box no names can are found because only the ID number is searchable. I know a work around for search for just one name e.g. one person called 'Steve' but I want all the Steves to appear.

When I use the the FM search box it works perfectly. In other words it somehow recognises the text in student fields.

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 6.50.05 PM.png

Where am I going wrong?

1 2 Previous Next