13 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 6:56 AM by TSGal

FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan

taylorsharpe

FMS 14 only supports MySQL 5.6 Community Edition for ESS.  Apple has released Mac OS X 10.11 (now 10.11.1) El Capitan and the only version of MySQL that works on it is version 5.7.  I was able to get the latest Actual Technologies ODBC driver 3.3.6 to connect to MySQL 5.7 on 10.11.1 and work, but this was done on a production machine that was upgraded to El Capitan before I could say anything.  So, fingers crossed.  But wondering if anyone at Apple, FileMaker or Actual Technologies had posted about MySQL 5.7 working in this configuration.  Obviously I feel uncomfortable about it at least until it is officially confirmed if it works.  For now I'll just be watching it, but thought I'd see if anyone else ended up in this situation. 

• 1. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
          taylorsharpe

FYI, if anyone else is doing this... my crossed fingers did not work.  It would kind of work for a while, but as soon as a lot of people start hitting the ODBC connection, it stops the MySQL 5.7 server.  You can go to System Preferences on that server and click the "Start MySQL Server", but it doesn't ever start it. 

I'm not surprised that the Actual ODBC driver did not work properly with MySQL, but I am surprised that this bad connection actually stop the whole MySQL service. 

Oh well, I sure hope Apple, FM and Actual solve this sometime.  So if you're out there, stick with Yosemite (10.10) if you are hosting a MySQL Database for FMS 14 to connect to. 

• 2. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
            TSPigeon

Taylor Sharpe:

Thank you for your post.

I have sent the information on this thread to Testing and Development to verify that we are aware of OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) compatibility. When I receive feedback, I will post back to this thread.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
              taylorsharpe

Thanks.  And to think Apple wants a new OS each year... oh my there will be lots of these types of issues <doh>.  Oh well, progress <grin>

• 4. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
                taylorsharpe

Update... after looking through log files and errors, we found out that the coalition of the MySQL Database v5.7 was in Swedish and not UTF-8.  We used standard installs and have no idea how that happened.  Oh well. 

I'm not confirming it is working now, but we are connecting and running testing and tables and fields are updating via a single user.  I'll update more later tonight or in the morning. 

• 5. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
                  bigtom

I also had a strange issue with a default Swedish language in MySQL. I still have FMS14 on OSX10.9 for now. Planned to moved to 10.10 at the end of the year. Have also since switched from MySQL 5.6 to MariaDB 10.0.20.

Thanks for the info and I will avoid an upgrade to OSX10.11 for sure.

• 6. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
                    taylorsharpe

MySQL 5.6 works just fine on 10.10 and is in the FM Tech specs.  So that is recommended. 

It is interesting you mention Maria, since it is the new database made by the guy who originally started MySQL and bailed after Oracle bought it.  Supposedly a more "pure" database or something like that.  It sure would be nice if it would work with ESS.  Then again, Apple has moved from MySQL to PostgreSQL and yet FileMaker has not upgraded ESS to support PostgreSQL.  It sure would be nice if FM 15 added more ESS support since it is such a nice feature.  It doesn't seem they have done any development on ESS much since it came out other than compatibility updates.  Fun to dream they will. 

FYI, MySQL 5.7 is working as of this morning on El Capitan machine that FMS is connecting to using Actual Technologies ODBC driver.  It is not exactly stable and has crashed twice this morning.  And it doesn't seem to like when we run server side scripts.  But scripts in FM client seem to all be connecting and working properly. 

We are going to try to install MAMP because it comes with MySQL 5.6 and supposedly works on El Capitan.  This might be a way to get back to MySQL 5.6 possibly.  We'll see if it works and I'll post an update here. 

• 7. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
                      taylorsharpe

OK, we were able to install the latest version of MAMP on Mac OS X 10.11.1 and it has the FM approved MySQL 5.6 and it is working.  That is how you can get around the default MySQL install that puts version 5.7 on Mac OS X 10.11.1.  It is working quite smoothly now.  And hopefully FM will be able to get 5.7 working at some point, but for now, it is something to avoid. 

• 8. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
                        TSPigeon

Taylor Sharpe:

Thank you for the additional information.

I am adding this information to the report. Once I've received further feedback, I will let you know!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
                          actualjon

Taylor,

If you still have a crash log from when FMS crashed with MySQL 5.7, could please attach it to a reply in this thread?

Jonathan Monroe

Actual Technologies - ODBC for OS X

• 10. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
                            taylorsharpe

actualjon wrote:

Taylor,

If you still have a crash log from when FMS crashed with MySQL 5.7, could please attach it to a reply in this thread?

Jonathan Monroe

Actual Technologies - ODBC for OS X

Jonathan:  The FMS service never crashed, what crashed was FMPA on my desktop (actually, froze and had to force quit) and the MySQL service on the web server machine (separate computer than FMPA or FMS).  Our first step was to upgrade to the latest Actual driver and that didn't help.  The Actual Driver always tested as making OK connections to MySQL.  After crashing MySQL several times, it wouldn't start back up and and we had to restart that web server and reconnect to it.  We did run into the weird situation where we realized the coalation we had in MySQL 5.7 was in Swedish and wondered if that had any issues and we changed it to UTF-8.  After that change, things seemed more stable in that single user connections seemed to work, but when a lot of people did and we ran server side scripts, it would occasionally would crash MySQL.  After installing MAMP that included the FMS ESS approved MySQL 5.6, everything was back to normal and worked fine. 

• 11. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
                              actualjon

Thanks for the summary.  That's very interesting.  Since MySQL 5.0, I've never seen a difference between versions of MySQL (regardless of hosting platform or database encoding) from the perspective of the driver or ESS.  For that matter, MariaDB is equivalent to MySQL 5.x in my experience. 

FileMaker publishes which version they have tested with when they release a major new version of the FileMaker product, but my experience is that other 5.x versions work equally well.  Your report changes that perception, at least for MySQL 5.7 on the Mac.  I'm going to do some additional testing to see if I can reproduce what you are seeing. 

One question:  did you just use the MySQL 5.7 installer available from www.mysql.com, or did you build it from source?

Jonathan

• 12. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
                                taylorsharpe

We used the MySQL 5.7 installer from www.mysql.com to install it.  Most of the MySQL database I connect to are on LAMP servers or Windows and this is one of the few on a Mac server.  For unrelated MySQL reasons, they were upgrading the server to new hardware and it came with El Capitan on a new Mac Pro Cylinder machine and they downloaded the default install of MySQL which is now 5.7. 

When we connected the Actual ODBC driver and set up the DSN, it always worked as expected and pulled down a good list of files from the server and validated the User name and password we tested through the ODBC manager.  This makes me think it is not the ODBC driver, but I really never know what is under the hood. 

• 13. Re: FMS 14 ESS, Actual ODBC 3.3.6, Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan
                                  TSGal

taylorsharpe:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Server 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.