6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 12:14 PM by fitch

Need for a field to be filled

damien.kurek@skcaucus.com

Hi, Im new to file maker and am not a coder but have found an error in the system i am using. I have isolated the problem and on field in a table is not populating.

My question is how do I fill one field in my table according to an automatically filled field on the same table. The data to fill the table is from another connected field. I need to know what commands are needed?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Need for a field to be filled
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, Damien. Welcome to FileMaker!

To automatically populate a field, you can use the Auto-Enter tab in the Manage Database dialog (choose File > Manage > Database). Select your field, then click the "Options" button in the lower right-hand corner.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 5.49.26 PM.png

Then use the Auto-Enter tab to enter your various options. You can enter data, a lookup (which is copying data from a related table), a serial number, data from the last record visited, creation / modification dates or timestamps (for appropriate field types), or a calculation:

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 5.50.46 PM.png

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Need for a field to be filled

thanks for the reply! What i am hoping to do is fill one record field with the number from another record field on a different table according to a serial #. I have tried a number of calculations (under calculated value) but have been unable to find out one that works. it needs to be exact because several other fields in the table depend on this field and right now the form entry doesn't fill this field...that means that I need to go into the table and manually enter the data (often dealing with thousands of records).

• 3. Re: Need for a field to be filled
              fitch

So what have you tried and what were the results?

• 4. Re: Need for a field to be filled

I tried replacing the field entirely and a myriad of comands from the calculated valule and the look up field.

• 5. Re: Need for a field to be filled
                  Mike_Mitchell

damien.kurek@skcaucus.com wrote:

What i am hoping to do is fill one record field with the number from another record field on a different table according to a serial #

We can probably help you with the calculation needed, but we need more definition.

1) Is the "different table" related to the current record?

2) Is there more than one related record in the "different table"?

You say it's according to a serial number. Does that mean the two tables are related via that serial number? I'm assuming you have a relationship defined between the two tables. If not, then you probably need one.

But more description / definition of the problem is needed.

• 6. Re: Need for a field to be filled
                    fitch

We need specifics. Please provide something like this:

The calculation I used was:

[actual calculation here]

The fields in the calculation are related like this:

[actual explanation of your tables and relationships]

The result I expected was:

[actual example of what you're hoping to produce]

The result I got was:

[actual calculated result]