5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 12:49 PM by Fred(CH)

External authentification to login Admin Console fail if not Admin

Fred(CH)

Product and version

FileMaker Server 11 Advanced – Version 11.0.3.309

OS and version

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

Description

If an account externally authenticated is not member of ADMINISTRATORS on the FileMaker Server Windows machine, but only member of POWER USERS, this Active Directory (AD) account cannot login successfully the Admin Console : "Invalid name or password" message displayed.

How to replicate

Specify and validate the desired AD Group within the Admin Console preferences; our logging tests were made locally on the machine server, and also from a remote client, with the exact same results.

Workaround (if any)

If the account is then included as a part of ADMINISTRATORS on the server machine, a following attempt is successful.

• 1. Re: External authentification to login Admin Console fail if not Admin
          Fred(CH)

Oh, and I know it is FileMaker 11 but…

This big and prestigious organization is planning to pass under FileMaker 14 next year.

However, since i went Wednesday for consulting and they ask me this particular question, it would appear very professional if i were able to answer. That mean for instance :

Yes, there is a known limitation because :....................

Yes, there is a known issue but it is fixed under FMS 14

Other answer / explanation : ....................

Make sense ?

• 2. Re: External authentification to login Admin Console fail if not Admin
            TSGal

Fred(CH):

Thank you for your posts.

One of our Support Technicians just performed the following steps in FileMaker Server 14.0.4:

1. Created a new Standard (non-admin) OS-level user "Test" with the password "test".

2. In a hosted file on FileMaker Server, added an external group for "Users".

3. In Admin Console, made sure External Authentication is allowed.

4. Successful login to the hosted file using:  Test/test. 

Let me know if we are missing any steps before we attempt to try the same steps under FileMaker Server 11.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: External authentification to login Admin Console fail if not Admin
              Fred(CH)

Hi TSGal and thank you for your time.

The misunderstanding, i think, is because my customer are trying to connect to FileMaker Server Admin Console but not to the database itself.

Make sense ?

Thank you in advance for a second try !

Fred

• 4. Re: External authentification to login Admin Console fail if not Admin
                TSGal

Fred(CH):

The Support Technician installed FileMaker Server 11 and was still unable to replicate.  The Active Directory is controlled by our IT department, and they assured us that the users were NOT administrators.  Even with that, the Support Technician created a local group, and the local group users could still access Admin Console.  Therefore, there appears to be something we are overlooking.  Let me know the exact steps you have taken so we can reproduce, and see if the issue also occurs in FileMaker Server 14.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: External authentification to login Admin Console fail if not Admin
                  Fred(CH)

Thank you very much for You and your colleagues who passed time on this !

I will transmit all this information to my customer tomorrow and additionally i will ask for passing the update to FMS 11.0v5, the last available.

The difficulty for me here is the fact i am not Windows IT guy and only act as an intermediary.

If we finally cannot resolve this, i will advise my customer to test it after his migration to FileMaker 14 and if the issue still occurs, i will lead him to our local FileMaker Technical Support.

Anyhow, i will keep you posted.

Greetings,

Fred