2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 6:30 AM by steveromig

Lost Icon and file

smike0042

Help.  I had a Filemaker Pro 8 icon in my Doc which opened up to a Script database.  Suddenly, the icon was covered by a large question mark.  It would not then open.  Stupidly, I dragged the icon to the desk top and it 'dissolved'.  Where has it gone? How can I retrieve it?

Thanks for any help.

Mike F

• 1. Re: Lost Icon and file
          Markus Schneider

what OS? In Your other postings, You are mentioning Windows..

- did somebody delete something, updates, whatever?

- same OS, same hardware?

- V8 is quite old.. if its Mac, V8 is PowerPC stuff, might be a reason

- on OSX: Performe disk-utility, check Your drives (drive, permissions)

• 2. Re: Lost Icon and file
            steveromig

Help.  I had a Filemaker Pro 8 icon in my Doc which opened up to a Script database.  Suddenly, the icon was covered by a large question mark.  It would not then open.  Stupidly, I dragged the icon to the desk top and it 'dissolved'.  Where has it gone? How can I retrieve it?

Thanks for any help.

Mike F

That was likely just a "pointer" to the file and the real file is still on your hard drive somewhere.

Can you access it if you open FileMaker Pro and check out the recently opened files from the FILE menu (assuming FileMaker Pro 8 supported that feature which I am not sure it did / does?)

Or, you can perform a Spotlight search for the file by clicking on the magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner of your screen and search for the filename there.  Once you find it it should be a easy matter of adding the "alias" back to your Doc.

It may also be accessible by clicking the APPLE menu and choosing RECENT ITEMS.

You can also check the trash on the off chance it did somehow get deleted.

Lots of options to find the file.  I am sure others will have suggestions as well.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.