11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2016 8:17 PM by fmkrnewbie

Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable

cjd

I have been using Filemaker Pro for the past 8-10 years on a Mac.  Recently purchased a Surface Pro 4 and FMP doesn't work correctly.  The database loads fine, but if I scroll or manipulate the field in any way other than to input data it goes blank.  If I click on the window that section will come back or if I use the arrow keys to change cards (in my case clients) then the screen will be fine and I can change back to the one I was working on.  This makes the Surface unusable though.

I have tried my database on regular windows machines and it works fine.  Today I loaded several of the built in databases that come with FMP on the Surface and they do the same thing where the window goes blank (white screen inside the window)

My machine:

Surface Pro 4

512 GB HD

16 GB memory

I have updated both Surface and FMP today before asking my question and the results are the same.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable
          cjd

I just read my title and I do not know if it was a current update that caused this because I just bought the Surface last week.  What I meant to say was that FMP and Surface versions are both up to date.

Thanks again for any help.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable
            schamblee

There are some known issue with fonts on Windows 10 with FM14.   There have also been some issues if you have Windows Zoom setting above 100%.   Windows 10 click the notification icon at bottom right, then click all settings, display then verify the zoom setting.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable
              fmkrnewbie

Hello, new FM user here, and still learning the software. Anyway, I have had the Surface Book for a while, but I haven't been able to use FM on it. If I click on any of the fields; blank windows appear and don't go away. I have tried running FM with the both the integrated and the discrete card with no so success. Changing the fonts didn't make a difference, so I wonder what else is there to do to get FM to run correctly on the Surface Book.

FN

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable
                schamblee

I have not used a surface book yet.  I used Windows 10 on a few different computers and I only had a few font issues.

What version of FM are you running and do you have the most current update?  If not update FM.

Is this only happening with one database, or with all databases ?  I would test with a starter solution.

Have you remove and reinstalled FM?

Have you ran the compatibility troubleshooter?  Right Click FM icon, Click Compatibility tab, then Click Compatibility troubleshooter.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable
                  fmkrnewbie

Thanks for your reply schamblee,

I am using the latest version of FM Pro 14. I was trying to use the starter solution, but I could not even input any data as the screen looks awful. I will try to re-install it tomorrow and see what happens.

Good idea on the troubleshooter, but it just didn't do anything to solve the problem. I sent the report to MS just in case they decide to take a look at it.

I will look into it tomorrow and see if I can come up with anything concrete. Got to run,

Thanks again,

FN

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable
                    user19752

Isn't the "blank windows" saying "No records are present..." ?

Of course you can't see the message, but you can create record before click on any of field for test it.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable
                      fmkrnewbie

Hello,

user19752,

I probably should have said screens or white boxes instead of windows as you can see it in the link provided at the bottom of this message. Every time I move the mouse over any area of the screen you can see how it is creating a white box.

schamblee,

I uninstalled the application just in case it would do something to fix, but it didn't. I actually did run the troubleshooter, and I remember getting a message saying something like " application incompatible with windows". Again, I will try to run it tonight, and see it I can see write down that message.

This whole screen resolution thing on the surface seems to be problematic so far as I have different applications reacting differently to the high screen resolution.

Youtube video link: Filemaker Video issues on a Surface Book - YouTube

Thanks,

FN

FYI: my response can take up to 24 hrs before I can respond to any message.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable
                        schamblee

FM 14 is compatible with Windows 10.  I do not have a surface pro or a surface book.   I have a older Samsung Tablet PC that had Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to Windows 10,  I have test FMPA 14 and it displays items correctly.   I have also tested on a desktop pc with the correct results.  

• 9. Re: Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable
                          fmkrnewbie

schamblee,

FM 14 is running correctly on the desktop, but for some reason it doesn't seem to like the Surface. I don't know if it has something to do the onboard video card or the discrete one. As I said earlier, I will try running the troubleshooter and see if it can reproduce the message I got last night.

FN

• 10. Re: Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable
                            planteg

Hi,

I had a look at your video. What is the resolution of your screen ? Was the Filemaker main window maximized when you did the video ? If yes, I suggest you resize the main Filemaker window to say about 1300 x 700 and see if you still have issues.

Previously I had something similar on Windows 7 when a Layout was displayed as a table: clicking on a cell would result on the entire line changing height and a new cell being displayed in a different size than the one being clicked.

I just tried 14.0.4 on Windows 7: made the zoom at 125%, but could not reproduce the issue. The resolution was Full HD at 1920 x 1080. Surface Pro and Surface Book have higher resolution than that.

• 11. Re: Filemaker Pro 14 current update on Surface Pro Unusable
                              fmkrnewbie

Hi  Planteg,

The resolution on the tablet is at its recommended default value of 3000 by 2000 , and yes the window was maximized. I did try to resize the screen as you suggested, but I still experienced the same annoying effect as when it is maximized. I even set the screen to different lower resolutions, but that didn't work either.

When I ran the program compatibility troubleshooter, and once completed it displayed the following message:

Incompatibility Program Detected, and under the Issues found : it states Incompatible program > Fix program Filemaker Pro. I pressed the next button, and was presented with options to either search the Help and Support pages, or visit Windows Communities.

FN

FYI: It may take up to 24 hrs (in general)  before I can respond to any message.

I think I need to do a little bit more proofreading before pressing the reply button.