3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2015 7:14 AM by GeorgeSwank

Research solution prints notes in wrong order

GeorgeSwank

I'm trying to use the Research Solution that came with FM14. I've entered a series of notes in one record (it says "Note 1" in the upper left corner). Now I'd like to print the Research Report so I have those notes on paper. My problem is that the report changes the order, so what comes out is nothing useable. Why won't it simply print in the order in which the notes are entered?

Also, is there any documentation for the various solutions, or do we just have to waste time trying to figure out how it works?

• 1. Re: Research solution prints notes in wrong order
          nicolai

I checked Research Notes and notes in this report are sorted by date, not by subject. If you need to change it, you will have to modify Sort Records in line 6 in Script "Printable Research Notes". You can also disable the sort, so the notes will be displayed in the order you entered them.

Also, is there any documentation for the various solutions

No, as far as I know. They are more of a starting point and tend to be quite basic, self-explanatory

or do we just have to waste time trying to figure out how it works?

The whole point of Starter solution is being a starting point and a sample database for learning FileMaker. If you think it is waste of time you should hire a developer. FileMaker is a development tool, not a set of ready made solutions.

• 2. Re: Research solution prints notes in wrong order
            GeorgeSwank

"The whole point of Starter solution is being a starting point and a sample database for learning FileMaker. If you think it is waste of time you should hire a developer. FileMaker is a development tool, not a set of ready made solutions."

Perhaps it should come with a warning that it's only for professionals, and the average person shouldn't buy it. However, though I am not a developer, I bought one of the very early versions precisely because it was easy to learn and use; and I've kept updating ever since. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be helpful to include some basic information about using the starter solutions—something that FM once did.

• 3. Re: Research solution prints notes in wrong order
              GeorgeSwank

Solved my own problem. After the Research Report script has run, and the result is on the screen in Preview mode, the report itself can be sorted as desired. Wasn't expecting that, but it does work.