7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 6:04 PM by rgordon

Autosize FMP14 Go layout for iPad Pro screen size?

jtclubs

Are there any theme or template options that allow a layout to be auto-resized to fit the full screen size of the iPad Pro? Alternatively, is there a script available to specify layout size for the iPad Pro?

Thank you.

John

• 1. Re: Autosize FMP14 Go layout for iPad Pro screen size?
          steveromig

Are there any theme or template options that allow a layout to be auto-resized to fit the full screen size of the iPad Pro? Alternatively, is there a script available to specify layout size for the iPad Pro?

Thank you.

John

Bookmark this article...

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10678/

We have not updated it yet for the iPad Pro but the information you are looking for will be there once we do.

None of the themes or starter solutions are designed specifically for the iPad Pro but some of them may work.  In addition, there isn't a script step, per se, that would provide you the ability to specify layout size for the iPad Pro.

In lieu of not having any information in knowledge base article 10678 currently, what you could do is some quick trial and error to determine the layout size the works for your solution.  Perhaps start with one of the iPad settings and see if that works and adjust the height and width incrementally until you find a size that works for you.  Most design their layouts for iOS devices so that they don't "jiggle" around (especially left to right) when you move your finger around on the layout.

And on a related note...

Dear Santa,

Could I have an iPad Pro for the holidays - for work purposes only of course.

Thank you,

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Autosize FMP14 Go layout for iPad Pro screen size?
            beverly

Let's spam Santa's FB page with requests for "work related" iPad Pros.

• 3. Re: Autosize FMP14 Go layout for iPad Pro screen size?
              jtclubs

Thank you Steve. The article you referenced was helpful. I just purchased an iPad Pro and my initial impression is that FMP Go layouts will become much more interesting compared to the standard models.

Regards

John

• 4. Re: Autosize FMP14 Go layout for iPad Pro screen size?
                TimAcri

Is there an easy way without making a new layout to have a 9" ipad screen stretch to fit the new iPad pro 12.5" screen?

• 5. Re: Autosize FMP14 Go layout for iPad Pro screen size?
                  rgordon

One little hidden object in the lower right corner with anchors set to the right side and bottom will stretch the layout but you'll need to decide what to do with the extra space.

• 6. Re: Autosize FMP14 Go layout for iPad Pro screen size?
                    philmodjunk

rgordon beat me to it, but I can expand on that "stretching layout" concept a bit.

There are two basic approaches that you can use to exploit the extra space, both are controlled by how you select auto-size anchors for various objects on your layout.

a) One column of objects "stretch" horizontally, one row of objects "stretch" vertically. If you think of the objects on a form view layout as a grid, you can pick one object or column of objects to increase in width when the layout expands by selecting both right and left auto-size anchors. Objects to the right have only the right anchor selected so that they stay pinned to the right hand side of the window and slide over to make room for the expanding portion of your layout. Objects to the left have their left anchor only selected.

Use the same method, if applicable for rows of objects on your layout, making one row expand vertically by selecting both top and bottom anchors while objects above have only the top anchor selected and objects below have only the bottom anchor selected.

What you can't do, is select two or more objects and have them stretch proportionally as the window expands. Note also that this expands objects, it doesn't shrink them, so you have to design to a functional minimum size and let the window expand from there. And yes, if you push this too far, you get bizarre layouts due to one portion of your layout being "stretched" all out of proportion to the rest of the layout so this works to fit a layout to a small range of layout sizes only.

b) Don't set anything to stretch, but reveal objects hidden behind other objects as the window expands. All objects have one anchor only set, but as the objects with right anchors move to the right and objects with bottom anchors move down as the window expands to fit the display, objects hidden behind other objects, often behind a tab or slide control, slide into view. This works better when the window size is due to rotating a iOS display as it can pull objects only part way into view with some displays in a given display range. And you can only put layout objects into the hidden space that are not absolutely necessary or the user won't be able to use the layout on smaller screens. All of this limits the utility of this trick for adjusting to different similarly sized devices, but it can be good for orientation changes.

• 7. Re: Autosize FMP14 Go layout for iPad Pro screen size?
                      rgordon

philmodjunk gave some great ideas on what to do with the extra space. I've used all and they work well.  One more option is to create separate layouts for each iPad.  There is a fairly big difference in size between the different iPads. I usually have two different design philosophies for the two iPad.  On the 9 inch iPad I try to remove as much as possible from the layouts utilizing popovers, tabs and slide panels to see data.  On the iPad Pro I try to utilize all of the available space (within reason) to display data.

1 of 1 people found this helpful