3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 12:04 AM by bigtom

iOS deployment of larger stand alone solution

PeterWindle

Hello again fellow filemakers...

I am looking at the most elegant, most simple and painless installation of a FMGo solution onto an iOS device.

I was thinking of the possibility of either:

#1.

emailing the user a FileMaker file, having the user open it and the file then downloads several other filemaker files onto the device.

#2.

the user opening a link to a hosted filemaker solution and then having filemaker download from the host onto the local iOS device

Note: the solution will be too large to straight out email directly to the user.

----

Has anyone actually done this? Is this the simplest way? Are there any other suggestions? Possible issues, problems with this suggestion.

I have not attempted this as yet, so I'm investigating options first.

• 1. Re: iOS deployment of larger stand alone solution
          CarstenLevin

HI Peter,

Yes, we are doing this all the time. Not only for the first installation, but also when updating the solutions with new versions.

Wwhen updating we will first backup data, then upgrade version of files and then restore data.

We ended up building a model and a set of routines, our mobile framework, that we keep improving.

if you have questions, please ask and if I can not answer, I will get help from my team.

please also have a look here:

FMEasySync: A FileMaker Sync Framework

GoZync: Scriptable Sync for FileMaker Go

BEst regards

Carsten

• 2. Re: iOS deployment of larger stand alone solution
            PeterWindle

Questions...

Am I correct in my suggestion, would this be the simplest way? Using technique #1 or #2???

It makes sense to me to have a "utility" filemaker file which would run all the scripts to install, update etc... right? Then if this is the case, is the filemaker file pulling files from a host via a container?

I'm thinking that if this is the correct (and simplest) path to follow, I might start building an iOS "Installer" to become as generic as possible, but I suppose I don't want to re-invent to wheel either.

• 3. Re: iOS deployment of larger stand alone solution
              bigtom

A utility file would be what I use. Easier to check for updates.

mattman has a decent example of how he does this on his ISO site. I am assuming by standalone you mean the data will only ever be local to the iOS device. This means the data file only needs to be downloaded once and the updates will be for the UI files.

For the installer you can have a web clip profile that gets emailed and that grabs everything and also provides for another web clip profile that will launch the solution.