Extensitech

FileMaker SQL?

Discussion created by Extensitech on Dec 14, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 by matthew_odell

I was speaking with another FM developer recently, and he made the claim that FM has an "SQL Backend". I questioned the statement, and he said he came away with that from the Miami DevCon Keynote presentation. I was there, too, and don't remember anything like that, but then again I recall that I went to the keynote right after finding out how good the martinis were at the Fontainbleau bar, so I might not be the best source of information!

I'd really like to be able to say something like this if it, or something like it, is true. When speaking with IT departments, particularly, there's a bit of what I think of as "snobbery" when assessing FM. Being able to say something like "SQL Backend" or "embedded SQL" or something would certainly soothe some apprehensions.

Does anyone else remember anything like that, or have any citations that would back up, and or clarify/refine, such a statement? I've done some searching around, thinking that (unfortunately) this would be an easy claim to refute, but I can't actually find anything that says FM is not SQL, either, although I've always just assumed it wasn't.

I suspect that others, like me, might find this an odd claim to begin with. However, the developer who said this is one I respect, and not prone to just making stuff up. I suspect (hope) that there's at least some wording here that is both factual and reassuring to IT "snobs".

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Chris Cain

Extensitech

Outcomes