6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 2:14 AM by nicolai

Help with using filemaker api for php?

rj.rijo

hello my name is rijo, and im new to filemaker.

im referring this book - filemaker api for php 13 by Todd Duell.

i need help with the line of code which is given on page number 46,

PHP Script

<?php include ("../../dbaccess.php");

$request = $fm->newFindAllCommand('Demo php');

$result = $request->execute();

if (FileMaker::isError($result))

{

echo "<p>Error: " . $result->getMessage() . "</p>";

exit;

}

$records = $result->getRecords();

echo '<table border="1">

<tr>

<th>First Name</th>

<th>Last Name</th>

<th>Number Number</th>

<th>Date</th>

<th>Time Stamp</th>

<th>Calculation</th>

<th>Record ID</th>

</tr>';

foreach ($records as $record)

{

echo '<tr>';

echo '<td>' . $record->getField('FirstName') .'</td>';

echo '<td>' . $record->getField('LastName') . '</td>';

echo '<td>' . $record->getField('Number') . '</td>';

echo '<td>' . $record->getField('Date') . '</td>';

echo '<td>' . $record->getField('TimeStamp') .'</td>';

echo '<td>' . $record->getField('Calculation') .

'</td>';

echo '<td>' . $record->getField('RecordID') . '</td>';

echo '</tr>';

}

echo '</table>';

?>

i have some basic knowledge of php but im not able to understand the following line of code...

$request = $fm->newFindAllCommand('Demo php');

$result = $request->execute();

if (FileMaker::isError($result))

{

echo "<p>Error: " . $result->getMessage() . "</p>";

exit;

}

$records = $result->getRecords();

• 1. Re: Help with using filemaker api for php?
          hbrendel

I also have a very basic understanding of php, but I cannot imagine what it is you don't understand.

There's a request to find all records, if there would be an error this would be displayed, otherwise those records are loaded in a variable...

Please clarify.

• 2. Re: Help with using filemaker api for php?
            nicolai

I will try:

Running execute() method on a  newFindAllCommand and then getRecords() on resulting object will return all records from the newFindAllCommand context.  You specify the context by passing the FileMaker layout to the object - ('Demo php').

Open Filemaker and navigate to "Demo php" layout, you can check context there. Executing newFindAllCommand is the same as running "Show All Records" from Records menu in FIleMaker.

• 3. Re: Help with using filemaker api for php?
              Devon Braun

//$fm is a variable

//-> for variables containing objects, there may be methods (functions) you can access.

//newFindAllCommand() a call to a specific method in the object

$request = $fm->newFindAllCommand('Demo php');       // Create a find object based on "Demo php" layout, store in $request

$result = $request->execute();        //Execute find, returns an object, stored in variable $result

if (FileMaker::isError($result)){         //Check if there's an error in the result.  N.B. Different way of accessing a method than the $var->method() approach

echo "<p>Error: " . $result->getMessage() . "</p>"; //echo the error message in the $result object plus some text around it.

exit; // End script.  i.e. no need to continue if you got a find error

}

$records = $result->getRecords(); //From the $result object, get the contained records -- also an object.  From this point you still have to process the $records object into usable text, as it contains (I think) self-referential sub objects that create infinite loops that trip up "foreach" and "print_r" commands.  It also contains the current user id and password, which no doubt you don't want to be echoing.

• 4. Re: Help with using filemaker api for php?
                rj.rijo

im not able to understand what this -> do exactly.

and why cant we declare it like this..$request = newFindAllCommand('Demo php');, i mean why we used $fm-> ?

• 5. Re: Help with using filemaker api for php?
                  Devon Braun

The declaration you would prefer to use would require that newFindAll had been declared globally, but the FM developers, for a variety of reasons, chose not to.  Instead it's a function/method within the scope of the $fm object, i.e. a method contained within / private to that object.  The admittedly awkward looking  $VariableThatContainsAFunction->FunctionYouWantToAccess() technique is a PHP syntax for accessing private functions.

Hope that helps.

• 6. Re: Help with using filemaker api for php?
                    nicolai

Good explanation from databoom . I would just add that it is standard PHP code and not a FileMaker specific syntax. You can use it as it is, or if you want to understand all details you will need to read up a bit more on PHP.