7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2015 6:45 AM by jmadison

FM13 to FM14 Migration Web Viewer DWF Problem

jmadison

(Full disclosure:  I first posted this question on fmforums.com.  No replies there as of yet.)

Hi Everyone!

I have a problem with something that works fine in FM13, but does not work in FM14.  I am using a web viewer to display a *.dwf file, which is an Autodesk file we use commonly for displaying drawings.  For those who are unfamiliar, think of it as Autodesk's version of a *.pdf. 

I'm running Windows 7, and I have the Autodesk Design Review Software installed.  When I access the file in Filemaker through the web viewer in FM 13, it displays right in the web viewer, which is what we want.  If I do the same thing in FM14, however, it wants to open in the outside application.

To demonstrate this, I created a stripped down version for FM13, and one for FM14, and I've included a TEST.DWF file.  To use my tests, you would need to save the TEST.DWF file, and insert it as a file reference using the "Insert File Ref" button.  Then, you should be able to toggle between "Show Google.com" and "Show File Ref" to demonstrate the problem.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: FM13 to FM14 Migration Web Viewer DWF Problem
          macwombat

Doesn't work in either FM13 or FM14 for me. Running Windows 7 Enterprise.

Does it have something to do with the integration of Autodesk Design Review Software with FMP?

• 2. Re: FM13 to FM14 Migration Web Viewer DWF Problem
            jmadison

I don't actually know how Autodesk Design Review integrates with the system.  What I do know is that with Design Review installed, if I try to open the DWF file with Internet Explorer, it will open and display inside the browser.

Do you have Design Review on your system?  If so, could you try to open the DWF straight in Internet Explorer?

That's the strange part for me, two different systems, Win 7 and Windows Server 2012.  Both have Autodesk Design Review installed, and in both cases, if I attempt to open the DWF with Internet Explorer, it will open within the browser.  And, if I use the web viewer in Filemaker 13, it will display the DWF in the web viewer.  If I do the same in Filemaker 14, it does not display.

• 3. Re: FM13 to FM14 Migration Web Viewer DWF Problem
              macwombat

Sorry I don't have Design Review on my system and am working in a locked down environment so I cannot load it to try.

• 4. Re: FM13 to FM14 Migration Web Viewer DWF Problem
                jmadison

Ahh, too bad.  Thanks for taking a look anyway.

I have another developer here looking at it too, and we're both stumped.  Maybe someone else on the forums will have some ideas.

• 5. Re: FM13 to FM14 Migration Web Viewer DWF Problem
                  jmadison

Hey Everyone,

We have discovered the problem!  Unfortunately, we still don't have the answer. 

The problem seems to be with 32 bit vs. 64 bit versions of Filemaker 14.  I installed the 32 bit version on my system, and then my DWF viewer did open inside the web viewer, just like it has with FM13.  But, installing the 32 bit version in our whole company is really not an option, especially since we have moved to the 64 bit version of MS Office, and we need 64 bit Filemaker to work nicely with that.

So, now here is my question:  Is there a workaround so that I can continue to use the 64 bit Filemaker 14, and enable it to display the 32 bit DWF viewer in the Web Viewer layout element?  This will be on Win7, and Windows Server 2012.

Thanks in Advance

• 6. Re: FM13 to FM14 Migration Web Viewer DWF Problem
                    macwombat

Wouldn't the better solution be to go back to the Autodesk Review developers and get a 64 bit version from them.  After all, everyone is moving or has moved that way so if they don't already have a 64 bit version developed this will put more pressure on them to catch up with the rest of the industry.

• 7. Re: FM13 to FM14 Migration Web Viewer DWF Problem
                      jmadison

Agreed.  If Autodesk was to release a 64 bit version, I would probably be fine.

In the meantime, my only hope is for a work-around of some sort.