1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 2:59 PM by mikebeargie

Emailing PDF of a Record

breastfeedingcenter

Hi there,

I am trying to figure out how to email a single record to a single email address from Filemaker Go. I haven't been able to find anything in the discussion board, so I'm attaching what I'm trying to do and I'm hoping someone will be able to figure out why it is a blank document once it becomes a PDF.

What I am trying to do is "Print" as a PDF and then email that PDF to that record's corresponding client. Photos attached. This is essentially what we've done for years with our Bento database and I assumed it would be the same for Filemaker.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Emailing PDF of a Record
          mikebeargie

I would try making a dedicated print layout specifically for your PDF. That theme is not that great for printing and it would give you the opportunity to easily script a save/email PDF script. Filemaker has built in "print" themes that work best for print/pdf output.

Say you made a new layout called "record print", your script would be as easy as:

Go To Layout [ "record print" ]

Set Variable [ $file ; "file:" & get(temporarypath) & "attachment.pdf" ]

Save Records as PDF [ $file ; current record ]

Send Email [ put $file in the attachment setting field ]

Go To Layout [ original layout ]

Then tie that script to a button on your main layout, and you've got something that automates the entire process.

As for why your current layout is coming up blank, it looks like maybe something on your layout itself is set incorrectly. You can check the sliding options under the inspector, and also make sure that you're displaying that layout in form view. You might also want to check the body part settings to make sure it allows the part to break across pages.