AnsweredAssumed Answered

How Can I "PUBLISH" My Database to the Interwebs ?

Question asked by wowabunga on Dec 17, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 18, 2015 by wowabunga

I'm a collector of vintage "jacks" for classic cars and trucks.  Have compiled over 600 photos of a wide variety of screw jacks, bumper jacks, scissors jacks... and would like to publish the entire collection to the web for anyone to reference.

I've used Filemaker 6.0 for many years and am familiar with the basics and making my own layouts.  The new Filemaker 14 has caught my eye in how well layouts can be "on the fly" uploaded and displayed on smartphones.   Am not looking for end users to log into the data, I just want smartphone users to be able to search and thumb thru the photos ( broken down into 10 subfolders of pics ) when they are out swap meet shopping and stumble upon a possible treasure.  For kicks and giggles a 1956 Packard Jack sold last year for $1600... others much less, with many jacks finding their final resting place serving as heavy 5 pound door stops.

We're about to purchase Filemaker 14 tonight, can't complain about the 2 for 1 price currently offered.  Called and talked to one of their reps for a while on the sales line... I'm led to believe that I can accomplish my goal if I buy Filemaker 14 Sever, and also create a custom web interface.  

Am I asking for something so odd that the development costs will be huge ???   I'm damn good at promotion and sales, but dumber than a bag of hammers when it comes to code.  Is there another software package ( mac user ) that would do a better job ?  Let me assure you I love Filemaker and use it daily.  In addition my numerical databases that cover all vintage auto radios since 1925 are also in filemaker, and I'll be adding them as well to the web effort.   I just need to know in some sort of plain english what the next steps entails, and or how huge - small - or crazy this request is.  Thanks in advance.

Outcomes