3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 11:39 AM by schamblee

Naming exported photos & other photo questions (FMGo)

AlanMassey

I've got a form where I'm doing a Punch List (an architecture thing) where you do a walk through of a construction site and note all the stuff that needs to be fixed.  I want to take a picture of each issue.  When I get back to the office I will export the whole thing to excel I want to also be able to export all the photos, but have them renamed to use the record name such as "Item_1.jpg".  There may be items that don't have an associated photo.  I only mention this because there was another discussion I read that mentioned that bulk exporting could have a hangup if not all records have an associated photos. It  may have been an totally unrelated issue though...sorry newbie here...

The other question is that I want to have a button on the layout in FMGo to take the photo.  Right now I have one, but it give me way too many options, (load from library, take photo, etc. etc. etc...)  I just want it to take me to the camera.

Thanks,

Alan

• 1. Re: Naming exported photos & other photo questions (FMGo)
          schamblee

I can't give any advice on export to excel.    Why not just use FM.  You can create better looking reports / layouts with FM.

FM introduced insert from device in FM13 / FMGo 13.   

Here is a sample database Dropbox - TestContainerCamera.fmp12

There are two containers in the sample.  The first uses the method you are talking about in your post, which will work in FMGo 12.  The second container has been setup as a button to use the script step insert from device, there is also a separate button that uses the same script step insert from device.

• 2. Re: Naming exported photos & other photo questions (FMGo)
            AlanMassey

Thanks schamblee for the reply.  The scripts in your example work perfectly! 

As to the excel export as opposed to just using FM. Well it's about being able to send it to other people to use.  I want to be able to send them the excel as well as a folder of photo that I link into the excel.  I suppose I could do a layout in FM that just exports the photos and labels them appropriately.  That's actually not a bad idea...Thanks!  Either way I still want to be able to export the photos and have them be named something that I determine (eg "Item_1.jpg") but I don't know how to do that.  I want to have the photos as files not data in the database for whatever I may need them for.

Thanks,

Alan

• 3. Re: Naming exported photos & other photo questions (FMGo)
              schamblee

See the following link for export the photo out of the container field.

Exporting the field contents of a container field | FileMaker

The images can be exported at anytime.

FM will allow you to email copies of images within an email or create a pdf that can be emailed.   You could also create a runtime version of your database that you email / sent to a user with the desired images in the database, then the user exports the images when they want to use the image.  FM would make it easier to track your images.