1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2015 5:21 PM by glorifindal

32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh

glorifindal

Hi there forum,

greetings from Thailand.

I have built a small database - pro-bono - for a school here in Thailand.

They use Windows 7 - and I just happen to have a Windows 7 installation. So, I created a Runtime version in Windows 7. Only to discover today that they use Windows 7 32-bit ...

I did not even know that such an abomination existed! (please excuse the Mac OS based humour)

Anyway, my question is: Is it possible to install a Filemaker 14 32 bit version on my Windows 7 64 bit ... and create a runtime that will run on their 32 bit Windows 7?

I do NOT want to go through the stress of building a Windows 32 bit virtual disk etc ...

Kindest

G

• 1. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
          mikebeargie
          Is it possible to install a Filemaker 14 32 bit version on my Windows 7 64 bit

Yes, it's possible to run legacy 32-bit apps on 64-bit windows. But since you already installed the 64-bit version, make sure to check out these notes:

FileMaker Pro/Advanced and Windows 64 bit operating systems | FileMaker

and create a runtime that will run on their 32 bit Windows 7?

Based on past posts regarding the same, yes the 32-bit version of filemaker includes files in it's generated runtimes for 32-bit compatibility.

• 2. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
            glorifindal

Mike,

many thanks for your speedy response.

So I will still need to uninstall, then reinstall 32-bit version and update - create the runtime, then do the same again to go back to 64 bit.

Suppose it's way better than mucking around with VM machines and Windows 7 installs.

Kindest

G

• 3. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
              mikebeargie

Actually I would think a virtual machine is BETTER. Since you can then run a 32 bit install inside of a virtual machine that you only boot up as needed.

• 4. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
                MaxEh

What Mike suggests is what I do. I use OSX 10.9.x and use Virtualbox to run the odd windows program I need, I use  Win7 Home with FMP12A and create runtimes from there. It also lets me check out field sizes just in case I need to tweak them. Have yet to install 14A on it so this discussion is timely.

• 5. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
                  taylorsharpe

You sure seem to go to great effort to avoid purchasing FileMaker, and since schools get such a nice discount on the software, is it really worth that much hassle?  If going cheap is so important and you don't want such hassles, you could always put it on an iOS device.  I guess if you're time is free to them, then it is worth it to them to have you jump through such hoops.  When I do pro bono work, I require that they purchase current legal versions of whatever software we are working with.  For example, if I was a car mechanic giving you free work on your car, I still expect you to pay for the parts.  Of course that just depends on how generous you are.  If I were in your shoes and had committed to do everything pro bono (very unlikely), I would have paid for the software for them just to save my otherwise valuable time as a developer. 

Another issue about fully pro bono work is that the recipients do not feel the value of your time because it is all for free.  That is why the work I do for non-profits is at a fraction of my commercial rate, but it is not free.  That way the non-profit has encouragement to help keep development costs down and not make me jump through unreasonable hoops to save small amounts of money.  I would even prefer giving them a lump sum donation and then giving them a reduced rate on my development time.

• 6. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
                    glorifindal

I have more than enough Filemaker licenses for my usage - there is no "great effort to avoid purchasing FileMaker" - perhaps I'm reading that english wrong, but that comes across a bit rude - I asked a technical question. Perhaps you meant to say "You sure seem to go to great effort to avoid purchasing FileMaker to give freely to the school" -

I'm doing some free work for a struggling school out of sheer decency. Their IT understanding is elementary - and I decided to take it onboard to help them. They do a worthwhile job, under extremely hard conditions.

Regards

G

• 7. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
                      glorifindal

Thanks Mike / MaxEh ...

I wanted to avoid this in the short term - although long term it does indeed make perfect sense. I have Windows XP / Windows 7 (64 bit) Virtual machines - but don't have a Windows 7 (32 bit) disk. I also in an area with broadband that can only be described as "not the fastest"

But thanks very much for your input... I will get round to this next year ...

kindest

G

• 8. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
                        mikebeargie

windows XP should be 32-bit.

• 9. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
                          glorifindal

[quote] windows XP should be 32-bit.[/quote]

but FM14 will not run under XP ?

Thanks

G

• 10. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
                            mikebeargie

you could try the 32 bit installer, it might run.

If your solution is easy enough, you could probably go back to FMPA12 and compile it there. Honestly I haven't really used too much in terms of runtimes due to their limitations compared to the rest of the platform.

• 11. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
                              glorifindal

aha - FMPA12 might be the answer - just need to think about whatI am using and ensure it's all FMP12 compliant .... nice idea - many thanks indeed.

What's really lacking is my understanding of the Windows OS - and how Filemaker actually uses it. I have not even looked at using a runtime since 1999 ... FM 5.5

Thanks for your input Mike

Kindest

G

• 12. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
                                glorifindal

Duplicated my VM Image, uninstalled my FM14 64-bit on new drive - installed 32 on new drive - works fine. Now have what I needed - many thanks for your suggestions

Kindest

G

• 13. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
                                  schamblee

32bit version of FM will run on 64bit version of Windows.   64bit will not run on 32bit Windows.    You do not have to install a 32 bit version of Windows.   FM14 is the first Version to come in a 64bit version.    FM13 and prior was 32bit. 

I agree with others that a VM is the way to Go if you want to create both 32bit and 64bit runtimes.

• 14. Re: 32 / 64 bit Windows 7 aaargh
                                    taylorsharpe

glorifindal, my apologies if you thought I was being rude.  I certainly did not mean it that way nor do I want to discourage anyone from providing some volunteer work to a deserving organization of your own choosing.  I was just asking why you wanted to lead them in the direction of runtime solutions and suggesting evaluating the value of your time.  For example, I think runtimes are going away and the future is mobile and web (e.g., WebDirect).  If it was an organization I wanted to support, I would be looking to help them buy 64 bit computers and software that deals with current technology needs.  But I also wanted to caution you from a lot of experience I have with non-profits and my donating time in the past.  Non-profits that pay nothing for your time and service tend to take your time for granted even if unintentional.  If they pay even a small amount of money, they value your time a lot more.  And to encourage them, you can make a financial donation to them to evaluate how much they want to spend on your time verses how much they want to spend say on hardware and software.  But that is just from my experience on how I handle donating my time.  I think it is great that you are helping out an organization that is lacking in technology.  More power to you. 

1 2 Previous Next