1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 6:19 AM by mark_baum

Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area

mark_baum

Hi all,

A few people have posted to the FileMaker Philanthropy area, including one person asking for some help, but finally I'm not seeing the traffic I anticipated. My hope was that it would gather enough momentum now that it could continue as a special area of the community throughout the year. At this point, I'm concerned that it might not get off the ground.

I'm wondering whether this idea isn't of interest to the community -- I certainly understand that we all have busy lives -- or whether the fact that it's located in a separate area from Discussions means that relatively few people are seeing it. I know that many of you mostly interact with the Community by email and rarely view it through a web browser.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Mark

----

Here's a reminder of what the space is about:

How are you using FileMaker to help others this holiday season? What nonprofit or pro-bono projects (big or small) have you done in the past?

Please share your experiences with the FileMaker Community to help us inspire each other about how we can make a difference in the world using our passion for development and problem-solving.

If you need help with a project or endeavor, try starting the title of your post with NEEDED — maybe someone in the FileMaker Community can help you out!

• 1. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
          jmedema

Mark,

I am sure that there are many instances of developers and FBA members donating time to good causes with pro bono or at reduced rates. The low traffic here could simply be an indicator of the overall busy-ness of the holidays and folks simply not having the time to put a nice storyline together.

A few other possibilities could be:

• Fear of opening the flood gates ("Hey, look who's doing pro-bono work! Let's call them and ask if they'll do our project for free!")
          • General modesty - not wanting to appear like boasting

Love the idea, love the sentiment especially around the holiday season, and love the effect of sharing stories of people helping people and how those stories can spur others on to do likewise.

Not sure what to recommend. Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Jim

• 2. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
            mark_baum

Thanks, Jim -- I agree on all counts. It makes sense that people need to maintain a boundary about what work is compensated and when they choose to take on something pro bono, and that might lead to some reticence.

Regarding modesty, the goal here is to inspire one another and to give a sense of the wide range of ways we can give back to the community. I'd say that as long as the focus is on the project and not how great we are for doing it, that issue should be covered.

And finally, regarding time -- that's a tough one. I know that many of us are working harder than we ever have before. But I do hope that people can find the time -- perhaps early in the new year -- to write up some of their projects, past or current.

As the FMI person encouraging this effort, I'm being careful to be neutral, not commenting on anyone's postings or writing about my own pro bono work. But I am trying to be consistent about thanking people for taking the time to share about their experience -- and I certainly do appreciate each person's participation.

• 3. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
              jmedema

Well said. I hope the stories shared here will grow and be an encouragement to us all to give back. I just remembered that one of the FM blogs I follow posted a picture of their team serving somewhere for the holidays. Could been a food shelf, Toys for Tots, or something else, but it was a good reminder and encouragement nonetheless.

Jim

• 4. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
                beverly

Keep in mind that working on a solution for a pro-bono organization may not be pro-bono to the developer, altho, may be reduced rates.

beverly

• 5. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
                  jormond

I would also submit its the victim of the Jive site itself. Most users are looking in the "Discussions" area. Once there, they bookmark that page and never look at any other space.

It's honestly a pain to look at other spaces. Without the ability to see ALL activity from ALL spaces in one place, it simply gets ignored.

• 6. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
                    Draco

I only see three possibilities:

1.- Busy members.

2.- Discussion Zone "something hidden"

3.- Members are not philanthropists

Regards

Draco

• 7. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
                      jormond

Mark,

Is there a way, beside the inbox ( which is glitchy as anything I've ever used ) and stream, to get a feed of all content, posts and comments and replies? Streams are not friendly on the eyes. The inbox is SOOO glitchy it's impossible to use.

jormond wrote:

I would also submit its the victim of the Jive site itself. Most users are looking in the "Discussions" area. Once there, they bookmark that page and never look at any other space.

It's honestly a pain to look at other spaces. Without the ability to see ALL activity from ALL spaces in one place, it simply gets ignored.

• 8. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
                        TorstenBernhard

I'm sure that many of us are doing pro bono work without even recognizing it: writing tools for friends i.e. I wouldn't talk about that stuff because it's really not worth a story.

• 9. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
                          mardikennedy

I think we've only had one NEEDED: one so far - NEEDED | Advice from experienced developers.

This one doesn't even show in the Philanthropy area - is it supposed to?  (I would have expected to see it there.)  Regards, Mardi

• 10. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
                            Markus Schneider

I think the idea is great, that's not the problem. But

- will be overlooked easily. I forgot about that, there is not much that brings this to attention, ie by sticky threads, (as other areas, ie the german site)

- it's not easy to understand/write details when one's mothers tongue isn't english

- FM14... we have installations that do fall in this category - but under V11 (those sites are still running FM11 for several reasons)

there was a meeting where FM officials asked for interesting projects a while ago. I think that we have some - but again: FM11. Although, we are preparing updates, the FM responsitives were no longer interested...

• 11. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
                              Markus Schneider

I started the commmunity now via the 'welcome' page (what I never do, since I start the 'discussions' page directly) - and there, it's at the top, in big letters..

Maybe others are starting the communitiy also via 'discussions' or 'content' - could be a reason as well

• 12. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
                                Benjamin Fehr

agree. I've spotted this idea only by coincident.

I also would not set any restrictions like FMP14 only. There might be a lot of charity worker and NGO's who couldn't afford to redesign their solution any couple of Years.

• 13. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
                                  gdurniak

There are well over 200 "Places", of which Philanthropy is just one, so somewhat lost in the crowd

and for help with a project, non-profits would be better off posting in Discussions

greg

> Any thoughts on this?

• 14. Re: Low traffic in the FileMaker Philanthropy area
                                    DanielShanahan

Mark,

Keep the Philanthropy space.  It's a great idea.  However, I do think there are a couple of issues:

1. Navigation.

The Philanthropy section has the same issue as the FBA section or the Product section or the Certified Developer section - it is not part of the General Discussion thread and therefore has a hidden quality.

2. Misunderstanding

I thought from the tagline on the Home screen that this was limited to work completed for the holidays or initiated during the holiday for faith reasons (Christmas, Hanukkah, Diwali, etc.)

For_the_Holidays?.png

1 2 Previous Next