4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 12:02 PM by katawump

Custom Ranges not Working

katawump

I use custom ranges on most of my fields to restrict data entry to specified ranges. All of a sudden today, many of my fields will not accept data within the specified range. For example, one of my fields has a range from 0 - 12. This field will not accept an entry of "2". It will accept a "1". I have checked all the settings and I can't find any difference in my settings between fields that are working properly and those that aren't. Has anyone run into this problem?

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Custom Ranges not Working
          Extensitech

Is the field that you are having a problem with perhaps of type "text"?

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 2. Re: Custom Ranges not Working
            katawump

It was! And changing it to # worked. All of my other fields that are accepting the proper ranges are "text." I am not sure why some work this way and some don't. The exact same fields with the exact same ranges - some work as text and some don't.. Anyhow, changing them to # fields works so THANK YOU!

• 3. Re: Custom Ranges not Working
              Extensitech

I'd actually expect the example to break on any text field, since with text, 2 > 12. The order of text fields is as you'd alphabetize a list, where you compare the first character (which is lower, 1 or 2?) and then only if the first character matches do you evaluate the second character.

Glad to hear it works, but still curious why another text field wouldn't have exactly the same issue. Were the others different ranges, where the comparison happened to be the same either way, such as 1 through 9 or 1 through 20?

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 4. Re: Custom Ranges not Working
                katawump

ok - let's see:

0-12 accepts a 1 but not a 2

0-43 accepts a 2 but not 5

0-14 accepts a 1 but not a 2

0-18 accepts a 1 but not a 2

0-27 won't accept a 3

So it looks like you are right - it just looks at the first digit. If that is larger than the first digit of the outer range, it is not accepted. Therefore, changing the field to # works.

thank you so much for helping me figure this out!