4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 10:07 AM by hbrown

can't access database

hbrown

I am running filemaker pro 11.  I just installed on a new computer.  I have my FM files on a server.  The old computer can open the files as a user, but the new computer can only access them as a guest.  Will the new computer work if I un-install FM from the old desktop?

• 1. Re: can't access database
          steveromig

I am running filemaker pro 11.  I just installed on a new computer.  I have my FM files on a server.  The old computer can open the files as a user, but the new computer can only access them as a guest.  Will the new computer work if I un-install FM from the old desktop?

Are you being prompted for a account name and password in both cases (old computer and new computer?)

Your access privileges are controlled by the account name and password you log in with.  So, assuming you are using the same account name and password on both the old machine and the new machine, your access privileges will be the same.

I'd also verify you are opening the file you think you are opening and maybe not inadvertently opening up a local or other copy of the file.

While having the same copy of FileMaker Pro installed on multiple computers is likely a license violation, it should not be the problem in this case.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: can't access database
            hbrown

Steve, thanks for your quick response.  The old computer is going to get

junked (but right now I am afraid to get rid of it!), so I don't think

there will be licensing violation in the future.

I do get prompted for an account name and password on both computers.

Strangely, on the old computer, the default account name is Henry Brown,

whereas on the new computer the default is hgb13999 (complicated to explain

- - basically, the computer is owned by my company).  I have typed in the

'old' account name and old password, but it still won't let me have

access.

I already tried an un-install, re-install of FM11,but I didn't see any

place where I could force my old account name to be the default.

As far as I can tell, it's the same file on the server.

Thanks again for your help.

• 3. Re: can't access database
              steveromig

I already tried an un-install, re-install of FM11,but I didn't see any

place where I could force my old account name to be the default.

It won't (shouldn't) have any bearing on the access privileges issues you are experiencing but you can change the account name that shows up by default in the preferences for FileMaker Pro.  Check the GENERAL section and put what you want it to be for "Other."  What is there now is likely the information you supplied when (re-)installing FileMaker Pro on your system.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: can't access database
                hbrown

I don't know where exactly the GENERAL section you referred to is.

However, it was a good hint, since I looked in the 'properties' tabs of the

program, and I set my security permissions to allow full control.

So, it's working, as long as I remember to log in with my old account name!

Thanks!