6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 2:47 PM by macwombat

automatic numbering on form

desireemm1

Ok I have a some users that use filemaker pro 11 they want me to figure out how to create a form (that's not the hard part) that changes the rework number (5 digit number 17950) every time a user fills out the form and prints? so when the next user goes to fill out a form he has a different number. not sure how to do this in filemaker?
      first user - 17950
      second user - 17951

• 1. Re: automatic numbering on form
          steveromig

Desiree Stevenson wrote:

Ok I have a some users that use filemaker pro 11 they want me to figure out how to create a form (that's not the hard part) that changes the rework number (5 digit number 17950) every time a user fills out the form and prints? so when the next user goes to fill out a form he has a different number. not sure how to do this in filemaker?
          first user - 17950
          second user - 17951

The simplest way to do this would be to create a "rework" field, or alter your existing "rework" field, to support an auto-enter serial number.  This way, when a new record is created, the "rework" number will be incremented by one (or whatever number you want.)

Simply go into Manage Database and double click on your "rework" field and in the AUTO ENTER tab check "Serial Number" and enter in the "next value" and the "increment by" values.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: automatic numbering on form
            macwombat

There is an assumption in here that when a new user fills out the form it creates a new record.  Assuming that is the case then the solution from steveromig is what you want.

• 3. Re: automatic numbering on form
              desireemm1

ok that's exactly what I was looking for, ok Filemaker is definitely better then MS Access by a long shot

• 4. Re: automatic numbering on form
                macwombat

FileMaker better than MS Access - oh yeah!!!!  I started using both about 20 years ago - Access for the workplace I was working and FileMaker with a little Christian ministry I did some volunteer support for.  Very quickly was sold on FM!

• 5. Re: automatic numbering on form
                  desireemm1

what about Electronic Signatures does filemaker pro 11 have a field for that?

• 6. Re: automatic numbering on form
                    macwombat

Are you using this solution on an iPad or iPhone?  You can setup a container field that will allow the user on their iPad or iPhone to sign on glass.  The resulting signature will be saved in the container field.  Script the entry with the script step "Insert from Device" with the Type as signature.