4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 7:50 PM by Extensitech

New to filemaker question

BrianBurwell

I want to make an employee locker assignment database in filemaker . I have a few thoughts and questions to pose, so please bear with me.

• The way I see it, it would be relatively simple as far as not many tables.   Likely one for employee roster and another for lockers. 
      • What I am trying to get past is it seems to always be a many to many relationship.   Many employees and many lockers.   I get that one employee can have one locker so in reality it can be a one to many. 
      • What I hope to achieve is
        • Having a list of available not already assigned lockers.
          • that the database would be able to parse the lockers that are assigned to someone and show remaining
            • would the best way be to use check boxes, assigned and vacant ? 
            • Is there a script to use (i have no experience in scripting) to get the list of available lockers ? 
          • I think that this would be done by having the locker as the parent table and the employees as the child.   But I am unclear on how to actually get filemaker to provide me a list of lockers from the total that are not assigned and can be assigned. 
            • I will be importing data from a excel sheet that we currently use so lockers already area assigned.
        • I want a portal for each locker to show employee history.  Example employee x had it from this time to that time before they quit/transferred...
          • I don't think that will be too bad, i have done portals before.
        • It would be nice to generate barcodes for each locker.   Then using filemaker go have it so you can walk up to a locker, scan the barcode and find out who's locker it is..  But I guess the same is achieved by just entering the existing locker number.   Do you see any advantage to using a barcode system vs numerics ?

I would appreciate any feedback possible.  

Thanks.. Brian

• 1. Re: New to filemaker question
          macwombat

Hi Brian - welcome to FileMaker and the FM Community.

A join table would be a good way to go - call it "locker assignments".  This will track every instance of an employees use of a particular locker.  The relationship from employees to lockers will be a 1 to many relationship - as only 1 employee can been assigned to a locker at one time.  The relationship from the lockers to the locker relationships will be 1 to many - as only 1 locker can have an employee assigned to it at one time.

In locker assignments each record will have the foreign key field for the locker and another foreign key field for the employee.  Your dates for when an employee started and ended their assignment to a particular locker will be in this field.

The FileMaker Training Series has helpful instruction and training exercises that can take you through setting up a database similar to this:  http://info2.filemaker.com/GLFTS13Basics_FTS-13-Basics-Registration-Page.html

Hope this helps.  Chris

• 2. Re: New to filemaker question
            Extensitech

It would be nice to generate barcodes for each locker.   Then using filemaker go have it so you can walk up to a locker, scan the barcode and find out who's locker it is..  But I guess the same is achieved by just entering the existing locker number.   Do you see any advantage to using a barcode system vs numerics ?

IMO, barcodes wouldn't be much advantage here. A barcode scanner is just a really fast typist. I think you'd have to have long, hard to type locker numbers and a huge number of lockers and employees to get any return on the time to set up the barcodes.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 3. Re: New to filemaker question
              BrianBurwell

Thanks, I'm working on it now...  I am trying to get a total years of service number for employees and I thought this would work, but its not...

(Get(CurrentDate) -Dateofhire) /365

Any thoughts ??

Thanks.. Brian

• 4. Re: New to filemaker question
                Extensitech

Dates are stored as the number of days since 1/1/0001.

(Get(CurrentDate) -Dateofhire) will give you the total days of service.

What you need is essentially their employment "age". See Age from dob and also https://community.filemaker.com/search.jspa?q=calculate+age+from+birth

Chris Cain

Extensitech