2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2015 11:52 AM by yomango

Filemaker 13 advanced crashes at start up

yomango

Hello. for the past three weeks FileMaker advanced is crashing at start up. I uninstalled it, installed it back and the problems continues. I use Windows 8. If I start session with my daughter's account in the same computer I can open the application. Very estrange. Also, when I install FM I choose English as the default language, but when I open the application from my daughter's account the application is in Spanish; not a big deal there but estrange anyway. I read on a blog to go to a file in the application folder, but the file was for Macs, not for Windows.I have FM 11, 12 and 14 installed. I'd like to have 13 back but do not know how.

• 1. Re: Filemaker 13 advanced crashes at start up
          Menno

It looks like it that your account's settings for FileMaker became corrupted. Your daughter's account runs FM just fine, so the installations seems to be OK.

The only thing you need to do is to re-initialize FileMaker for your account (a re-install will not do that) by throwing away 2 folders in the registry:

Open the program "regedit.exe" and you'll see a sort of document tree. Look for

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\13.0A

and

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro Advanced\13.0A

these are folders and throw them away.

Start FileMaker Advanced and it should run .....

If this does not work, then you may have some plugin in your

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\FileMaker\Extensions

or

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro Advanced\13.0\Extensions

that causes the problem and you should empty these folders before you start FM

As for the Spanish/English language: these settings are always linked to the user-account and will initially be set to the system-language. Go to Edit/Preferences in FileMaker and choose your desired language there for each windows user-account

• 2. Re: Filemaker 13 advanced crashes at start up
            yomango

Hello, sir. First of all, thank you for taking the time to answer, specially this time of the year. i am not sure where to find  the program "regedit.exe" m if through the COMMAND prompt or I have to downloaded so I proceed to delete one by one whatever was on the FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced Extension folder; first I deleted the CoreFoundation Resources folder, try to open the application, nothing happened and the folder was put back automatically, I went to the next folder Reactor, same thing it was put back automatically after I had deleted it and try to open the application. Next was I deleted the 'baselements.fmx" plugin file, nothing happened, but the file wasn't restored either. Next file was called "CCPivot2.fmx" and that did the trick. Application now opens. I have not worked on any file yet, but the application opens. I left the other plug ins in the extension folder. Again I really appreciate your help, God bless you.