6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2015 10:58 PM by mz5005

Run Time Mac --> Windows

mz5005

Hi,

I am a Mac user with FMP 13.0. I need to have a Windows run-time. I understand from previous posts I need a Windows computer and

also a Windows version of FMP

Q:

1. if i have the above, is the FMP file format platform independent / can I open a (Mac) FMP file on a Windows computer?

2. On Mac I try to make  run-time also (for Mac). Page 604 of the Help manual states "Open the Tools menu" as a first step. I don't have a tools menu, nor in FMP nor on the disc. What can be wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Run Time Mac --> Windows
          BruceRobertson

"2. On Mac I try to make  run-time also (for Mac). Page 604 of the Help manual states "Open the Tools menu" as a first step. I don't have a tools menu, nor in FMP nor on the disc. What can be wrong?"

Runtimes creation requires FileMaker Pro Advanced. Do you have FileMaker Pro Advanced?

Tools_menu.png

• 2. Re: Run Time Mac --> Windows
            mz5005

Hi Bruce,

Yes I do have FMP Advanced, but I don't have the Tools menu (see pic)Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 12.21.34.png

Maybe I need to re-install. Can't remember there maybe was an option to install developer tools.

• 3. Re: Run Time Mac --> Windows
              BruceRobertson

Is that screen shot taken with no file open?

Take a screen shot with no file open, or with one of the template files open.

• 4. Re: Run Time Mac --> Windows
                mz5005

No file open Bruce.

See here:

Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 13.05.17.png

• 5. Re: Run Time Mac --> Windows
                  schamblee

Yes, you need Windows to create a Windows runtime.  I use Parallels on a Mac Book Pro.  

There is no difference in the fmp file for Windows / MAC, the file can be open on either platform.  There are some script steps specify to each platform, so technically one version may not run on the other without modification.

On your Mac as Bruce stated close FMPA and the database.   I believe your database has a custom menu that may have remove the tools options. 

Open FMPA 13, when the Quick Box Appears you should see FileMaker Pro Advanced, File, Edit, Tools, Window, Help.  menu at the top of the screen. Select Tools then Developer Utilities. 

If it still not on the menu then I would suggest reinstalling FMPA.     

• 6. Re: Run Time Mac --> Windows
                    mz5005

OK great advice Schamblee thanks. Didn't know I could do that with Parallell also. Saves me a lot of time.

I don't have a custom database so I will re-install, maybe there is an option given to install it. Thanks to you and Bruce!