1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 4:03 AM by beverly

How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?

Hi_Fi_Guy

Since upgrading our server software to FileMaker Server 14 one of the (many) issues we are experiencing is with some fields auto-populating data from either the previous record or from a previous season's record containing a lot number with the same last 4 digits. This is causing all sorts of problems for our students and instructors working in the field using iPads and FileMaker Go 14 to enter data. They may not realize some fields have been filled with old/wrong data OR they are wasting their time removing the old/wrong data and replacing it with the correct info.

We experienced NONE of these issues before upgrading to FMS 14. Any and all feedback and advice much appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?
          Mike_Mitchell

There's nothing about an upgrade to 14 that would cause the behavior you're describing. Data entry into fields is controlled by the solution, not the FileMaker shell. So something else is going on. Check these possibilities:

1) Any auto-enter or lookup settings on any of the fields involved?

2) Is there a serial number auto-enter that perhaps needs to be reset?

3) Are there any server-side scripts running that might overwrite the data?

4) Are there any scripts in the application itself that users might trigger that would overwrite the data?

Beyond that, we'd need more detail on the solution, the interface, the user base, etc., to make any intelligent suggestions.

Mike

• 2. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?

Have you checked the field setup for the tables in question?

Field Options.png

If the value from the last record is inserted, when the new record is created whatever record was active will insert that value in the field. Perhaps the period problem mentioned elsewhere is also causing a different reaction?

Then there is that nasty serial number used as a lookup and match field. This value can be started fresh by changing the next value and it can also cause problems if records are imported into the file with sequence confusion which happened to me in my earlier days. The invoice file in a pre-7 solution became corrupted. I had to switch to a backup file for just that file. That backup file had invoice numbers that stopped at 522 but the line items file contained items reference invoices with numbers as high as 600. So, the new invoice numbers which began with 523 pickedup the invoice items matching that new invoice number and were wrong. I should have checked for the highest invoice item invoice number and reset the auto serials to 601 or higher. Now I use the UUID and forget about it until one is duplicated 6000 years from now (supposedly).

• 3. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?
              Hi_Fi_Guy

1) Any auto-enter or lookup settings on any of the fields involved?

Not on either of the forms where we are seeing this issue.

2) Is there a serial number auto-enter that perhaps needs to be reset?

Serial numbers are all in sequence with no repeats or gaps.

3) Are there any server-side scripts running that might overwrite the data?

None

4) Are there any scripts in the application itself that users might trigger that would overwrite the data?

None

• 4. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?
                Mike_Mitchell

I didn't see your other thread before asking these questions. (As a matter of good practice on the forum, it's best not to split two related questions into two threads. It helps to avoid confusion.)

believe your issue has to do with another misunderstanding you have. Lookups and auto-enter calculations work at the field / table level, not the layout (form) level. If you enter a lookup on a field, it will always process, even if the field in question isn't on the current layout (or any layout, for that matter).

Let's continue this on your other thread. That way, people can follow what's going on and we won't wind up with multiple conversations on the same issue.

• 5. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?
                  Hi_Fi_Guy

Jack's last paragraph is the most similar to what we are experiencing. Here are two scenarios.

Form 1: A form that documents data discovered in a specific location from season to season and during a season.

Example:

- 2014 Season A my have serial numbers AB14A.0001 - AB14A.0623 and each of those records has data associated with it, one of which is specific scientific location data.

- 2015 Season B may have serial numbers AB15B.0001 - AB15B.0450. What we are experiencing is this: When we enter a record number like AB15B.0201 one or two of the location data fields will auto-populate with the data from AB14A.0201. This is dangerous as it could corrupt/destroy or scientific research.

Form 2: A form which allows archaeologist in the field to record data for the area they are working on. We use a portal containing a drop down menu of all excavator's ID's and when the excavator selects their ID it triggers a new lot number to be generated, like AB15B.0241. In this way NO lot number can be created without being associated with an excavator so we have a trail of responsibility for all information and artifacts associated with that lot.

What we are experiencing is this: When a new record is created the excavator id is being autofilled, almost like "ghost data". It is not necessarily the same as the previous record either. I need to check but it may be pulling in the excavator from the previous season with the same last 4 digits in the serial number. Regardless, it is auto-populating the excavators field... but there is a twist. When the archaeologist sees this incorrect data and taps the field on the screen of their iPad to bring up the drop down list of excavators and selects their own ID everything appears on screen to now be correct. As soon as they tap off and FMGo sends/saves the data the excavators ID may revert to the previous "ghost data" OR becomes blank forcing the excavator to input their ID a second time. Even then and even through they clearly see their excavator ID on screen 25% of the time the excavator ID is NOT being saved to the database. At first I thought this was user error but I have witnessed this myself with two of the excavators.

Ideas? Suggestions? All of this worked perfectly for the past 3 seasons with minimal maintenance & updating as we moved forward. The solution has only become broken with the FileMaker Server 14 upgrade.

• 6. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?
                    Hi_Fi_Guy

believe your issue has to do with another misunderstanding you have. Lookups and auto-enter calculations work at the field / table level, not the layout (form) level. If you enter a lookup on a field, it will always process, even if the field in question isn't on the current layout (or any layout, for that matter).

Mike, Thanks for the response. I am aware that the calculations happen at the field/table level and that the layout/form is merely a way to look at and interact with the data. However is sounds like I may have missed something. What did I type that lead you to believe otherwise? I am always learning and if I am misunderstanding something vital I want to learn from the mistake and correct it.

Thank you.

• 7. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?

The period may be the clue. In another thread, look for the word period,

someone was experiencing a find problem caused by the period which was new

in 14. We may be hearing more about this.

Hopefully the UUID won't croak as well...  Someone must have changed

something somewhere.

• 8. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?
                        Mike_Mitchell

Hi_Fi_Guy wrote:

Mike, Thanks for the response. I am aware that the calculations happen at the field/table level and that the layout/form is merely a way to look at and interact with the data. However is sounds like I may have missed something. What did I type that lead you to believe otherwise?

This:

"1) Any auto-enter or lookup settings on any of the fields involved?

"Not on either of the forms where we are seeing this issue."

• 9. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?
                          Hi_Fi_Guy

Ah, I see where my statement would imply that. What I should have said is, not on any of the fields of any of the tables accessed by the two forms (layouts) where our professors and students are experiencing the issues.

• 10. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?

Suggestion:

Duplicate the file and if it is on a server, place the duplicate in the

same folder and authorize it (note the official designation but one

suitable for earlier am).

Replace the contents of the fields in question with substitute(field; "." ;

"_" ). and in all related fields.

Inform the users to stop using the "." and use a "_" instead for this test.

Does this resolve the problem?  It is similar to the answer supplied for

the find problem.

If that isn't clear, ask and I'll rephrase it.

If it does solve the problem then there is a potential problem here for

others that is possibly as much of a problem as the Y2K date problem and

FileMaker should look at this and issue an immediate update.

• 11. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?
                              Hi_Fi_Guy

We already replaced the period with a hyphen and it does solve the problem. An underscore may be better as someone else posted that hyphens can have problems with searches.

• 12. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?
                                schamblee

I would consider this a design flaw, for key fields you should use just a serial number or a UUID number.  You would then have another serial number (custom serial number) field for displaying and user use.   

• 13. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?
                                  Hi_Fi_Guy

Not a bad idea Schamblee. In your scenario each record would have a UUID and the Lot number would just be another string of data stored with that record that users to then be allowed to see and search for. Is this your thinking?

• 14. Re: How do I stop data from autopopulating fields in FileMaker Go?
                                    schamblee

Yes, the exactly the scenario.  

1 2 Previous Next