AnsweredAssumed Answered

Selector/Connector implementation question

Question asked by BillisSaved on Dec 27, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 by Todd Geist

Good evening everyone,

I hope you had a merry and blessed Christmas! I've been attempting to implement the Selector/Connector relationship graph model into a solution I'm currently building and, I'm embarrassed to say, I'm having some difficulty getting it to function as expected. I believe I have a decent grasp of the theory behind the Selector portion of this design methodology, it's the connector that has me scratching my head. I'll try to provide a simplified example of the issue I've been unable to solve in the hope that one of you can render some much needed assistance:

Table 1: Name

Field Name    Field Type     Storage

Name             Text

z_xJoin           Number        Global

Table 2: Graphic

Graphic          Container

Table 3: Connector

I've created the following cartesian relationships (cross-joins):

• Connector::z_xJoin <-----X-----> Name::z_xJoin
  • Connector::z_xJoin <-----X-----> Graphic::z_xJoin

Each table contains a single record and I've set the value of all z_xJoin fields to the number 1.

I expected to be able to create a layout based on the Name table and insert a container field, which pointed to Graphic::Graphic, and display the its contents. It didn't work. The container field is blank. I suspect the relationships I've created using global fields, which allows me to access all the available data, are the source of the problem because they are not indexed fields. Therefore, FileMaker won't display a specific record even though there is only one in each table. Can someone please help me understand what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any assistance and/or advice you are willing to provide!

God bless,

Bill

Outcomes