14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 3:53 PM by brucewilson

Variable discount

LynetteLejeune

I have an invoice pulled up and I want to enter a discount.  This discount will change.  Is there a way where when I pull up an invoice to change the discount on a per invoice bases?  I do not want the discount tied to any particular customer.

Thanks for any help

• 1. Re: Variable discount
          Mike_Mitchell

Sure. Just put the discount field in the Invoice table and adjust the total based on that.

• 2. Re: Variable discount
            LynetteLejeune

Please excuse my complete ignorance when it comes to FileMaker.  I don’t believe that I have an invoice table.  Once I select the records I want I just switch to an Invoice Layout.  I do see post that talk about an Invoice Starter Solution.  How do I go about using that?  We use FileMaker Pro 13  Thanks in advance for any help.

• 3. Re: Variable discount
              Mike_Mitchell

Go to File > New From Starter Solution. It'll ask you which starter solution you want to use, then make a copy of it you can edit.

P. S. It already has discount features, if you want to just use the starter.

HTH

Mike

• 4. Re: Variable discount
                DanielShanahan

Something to keep in mind - you can discount a line item or discount the entire invoice.  For example, a customer purchases three items:

Blue Widget

Red Widget

Yellow Widget

If you want to discount the Blue Widget, you may want to enter another line item:

Discount on Blue Widget

This puts the discount on the line item table.  If you want to give a discount to all the line items, then you would put the discount on invoice table.

• 5. Re: Variable discount
                  LynetteLejeune

Is there a way to do this in a layout instead of an Invoice?

• 6. Re: Variable discount
                    Mike_Mitchell

I don't understand the question. An invoice is a record in a table. Layouts display records. They're two different objects.

Every table needs a layout for user access. So what is it you're trying to do (in just plain English; avoid the database terms for now).

• 7. Re: Variable discount
                      LynetteLejeune

I want to be able to select records by using a file number, total the amount and apply a percent discount.  This is something that will be printed then filed.  Nothing else needs to be done with it.  We are not tracking inventory but jobs that a in a flat file.  We are using FileMaker in a very basic way.

• 8. Re: Variable discount
                        siplus

LynetteLejeune wrote:

I want to be able to select records by using a file number, total the amount and apply a percent discount.  This is something that will be printed then filed.  Nothing else needs to be done with it.  We are not tracking inventory but jobs that a in a flat file.  We are using FileMaker in a very basic way.

Define "file number".

(I assume "basic way" already defined...)

• 9. Re: Variable discount
                          LynetteLejeune

File number is a unique number that we type in when we create a new record. 

• 10. Re: Variable discount
                            siplus

And the invoice is just one big text field on the "File" record, having lines separated with returns and items separated from their prices with tab ?

• 11. Re: Variable discount
                              DanielShanahan

LynetteLejeune wrote:

Please excuse my complete ignorance when it comes to FileMaker.  I don’t believe that I have an invoice table.  Once I select the records I want I just switch to an Invoice Layout.  I do see post that talk about an Invoice Starter Solution.  How do I go about using that?  We use FileMaker Pro 13  Thanks in advance for any help.

The Invoice starter solution in FMP13 has a line item discount.  Enter a decimal (e.g. .5) and it will automatically turn it into a percentage (50% for .5).  All the line item discounts are then aggregated on the and shown in red above the Subtotal (see attached image).

Invoice_a_la_FMP13.png

Discounts can be more complex (e.g. discounts for purchasing in bulk, discounts for particular customers, etc.).  But for simplicity right out of the box, the FMP13 Invoice starter solution may serve your needs.

• 12. Re: Variable discount
                                LynetteLejeune

I think I need to start over with my question.  I went about this the wrong way.  I have basically a flat file,  Other that a few look up tables there are no relations.  We log "jobs"  by property address,  we also have fields with other information including name of appraiser, when the job was complete, report number, amount etc...  When we complete what we call an invoice is so that the owner pays us for work performed.  Each Appraiser is paid at a different rate.  What I am looking to do is a way to pull up all the "jobs" that a particular Appraiser needs to be paid for  (this I can do) and take those jobs and drop in a form that we can manually type in the percentage that the appraiser is to be paid.  We would then pdf the form and email to owner in order for him to cut the check. 

• 13. Re: Variable discount
                                  Mike_Mitchell

LynetteLejeune wrote:

I went about this the wrong way.  I have basically a flat file,  Other that a few look up tables there are no relations.

The first sentence is right. The second and third sentences are the reason.  

We log "jobs"  by property address,  we also have fields with other information including name of appraiser, when the job was complete, report number, amount etc...  When we complete what we call an invoice is so that the owner pays us for work performed.  Each Appraiser is paid at a different rate.  What I am looking to do is a way to pull up all the "jobs" that a particular Appraiser needs to be paid for  (this I can do) and take those jobs and drop in a form that we can manually type in the percentage that the appraiser is to be paid.  We would then pdf the form and email to owner in order for him to cut the check.

This is a confusing workflow. In your setup, you have a table where each record is a job. (At least that's how it looks to me.) You want to find a set of jobs and apply them to a single form? Where are you getting the form?

Your database structure is your problem. An invoice needs to be a separate table, where you tie the invoice ID to all the jobs that are to be paid on that invoice. That way, you have a single record for each job, and a single record for each invoice. If you have a single invoice record for all the jobs to be paid, it's a relatively trivial matter to insert one or more calculations into that table to total up the hours an appraiser spent on a job, and then apply whatever percentage you want.

HTH

Mike

• 14. Re: Variable discount
                                    brucewilson

A separate Invoice table is the best solution.

You can just add a discount to your current solution, but there will be no permanent record other than the printout/PDF you generate.

It sounds like the invoice amount you currently see is a Summary (total) of the amounts on the found records.

Create a global Discount field, then create an unstored calculation field (you could call it PaymentDue) that multiplies the Discount by the Amount.

You the create a summary field that totals the PaymentDue field, and add that to your invoice layout.