6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 7:52 PM by jormond

Content Manager starter:  How do you delete metadata from the layout?

sawhet

I'm trying to adapt the Content Manager starter solution in FM 13.  I'm completely flummoxed by the metadata that appears under the container field (shown in the first photo).

This metadata is related to images I've pulled off the web and is completely irrelevant to my purposes. The problem is that, when I go into Layout mode, I can't find an object under the container that I might delete.  All the possible metadata for various file types in the starter solution are shown in a box (is this a slide panel?) that was overlaid on the container.  I pulled it to one side (second photo below), but it does not allow me to modify any of the individual fields.  (I was thinking I might just delete the photo-related fields.)  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Content Manager starter:  How do you delete metadata from the layout?
          jormond

Each metadata section is a grouped object. Slide them off to the side individually, then in the Arrange menu, click Ungroup.

• 2. Re: Content Manager starter:  How do you delete metadata from the layout?
            sawhet

Aha!  That sounds easy enough!  I'll give it a shot tomorrow.  And once they are ungrouped, should I just delete them?

The mystery to me still is what the mechanism is for placing that meta info in that location under the container in the layout.  Is there some sort of hidden object that's not appearing in Layout Mode?

Many thanks!

• 3. Re: Content Manager starter:  How do you delete metadata from the layout?
              jormond

They are just field objects and merge variables/fields etc. When they have values they show. There is also a calculation in the "Hide object when..." option in the inspector. That helps to hide the objects when needed also.

• 4. Re: Content Manager starter:  How do you delete metadata from the layout?
                sawhet

Uh-oh.   So.......I think I did as you suggested, but now I don't see the image in the container.

Pulled Image section to the side.  (OK, first I pulled "Find Mode" to the side and followed your directions, saw no difference, and realized my mistake.)  From Arrange, did Ungroup. At first, couldn't delete fields.  Then clicked first outside the box, and was able to click and highlight individual fields.  Then individually right-clicked on all the fields under the container (now I understand why/how they appear in the Content Details layout -- they were designed into this metadata section.).  Exited, saved, and -- poof! -- no image.   At least those pesky, annoying fields are gone, too.

Tried to undo.  Grayed out. Went into Layout, was able to Undo the cuts. (I never cut the container.)  But the metadata has still disappeared.  And still no image in the container.

What did I do wrong?  Is there an easy way to restore the images? FWIW, the images still show up in the Thumbnails and Content List tabs.

I'm afraid I've made a mess. I think everything is unlocked.  Nothing is sliding. I don't know how to restore it to the state it was in before I just started to fiddle with it tonight.  This is what it looks like now:

• 5. Re: Content Manager starter:  How do you delete metadata from the layout?
                  sawhet

And here's some added weirdness for you..........

I have entered 25 records to play with while I try to adapt this Starter solution to my purposes.  After losing the images in the "Content Details" tab as I just described, I was just flipping through the records.  Two of the 25 records show images in the container field as I had hoped!   The difference is that their files have .gif extensions.  The others were all .jpg.

Is that a clue?

• 6. Re: Content Manager starter:  How do you delete metadata from the layout?
                    jormond

Just put the field back on the layout. I would suggest spending sometime running though the FileMaker Training Series. It will help you understand the basics of navigation and creation of layouts and elements.