2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2016 9:00 AM by BeatriceBeaubien

FileMaker Go: Weird problem with Substitute( ) function:

chebfarid

FMPA 13 on OS X and FM Go 12.0.8 on iPad Air.

In a small HTML parsing routine I'm using the following calculation:

Substitute ( $html_bookInfo ; "<span dir=ltr>" ; Char ( 13 ) )

(the $var contains part of the source code of an html page)

A second function then deletes all the HTML tags.

This gives in FMPA the expected result, a list of CR separated text pieces which I continue using as a value list in an other script :

Titolo

Il grande male

Volume 637 di Biblioteca Adelphi

Autore

Georges Simenon

tradotto da

B. Bertoni

Editore

Adelphi, 2015

ISBN

8845929868, 9788845929861

Lunghezza

147 pagine

For completely unknown reason however the substitution of the search-string does not execute on the iPad with FM Go, th result is always a long string without line breaks like this (after the elimination of the html tags)

TitoloIl grande maleVolume 637 di Biblioteca AdelphiAutoreGeorges Simenontradotto daB. BertoniEditoreAdelphi, 2015ISBN8845929868, 9788845929861Lunghezza147 pagine

Obviously I have already used also the classic CR-placeholder instead of char(13), the result is always the same.

I have spent a whole day with this problem but I won't get out of it - I tested various substitutions on the iPad and they all worked fine but FM Go won't work with my source text.

Here an example of the text saved in $html_bookInfo:

<td class="metadata_label">Titolo</td><td class="metadata_value">

Il grande male</span><br><a class="primary" href="https://www.google.it/search?hl=it&tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=bibliogroup:%22Biblioteca+Adelphi%22&source=gbs_metadata_r&cad=3"><i>

Volume 637 di Biblioteca Adelphi</span></i></a></td></tr><tr class="metadata_row"><td class="metadata_label">

Autore ...

As you see It's plain simple html code, I really don't understand why the Substitute( ) function of FMGo won't work with it.

Every hint is highly appreciated,

Happy New Year from Milano

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go: Weird problem with Substitute( ) function:
          chebfarid

I answer to myself

After adding a layout with some debug fields I finally managed to see what was going wrong: the html source is different when the page is loaded on the iPad ! (In both cases using a web viewer inside my database)

My search-string "<span dir=ltr>" changes to "<span dir="ltr">" and thus the substitution could never take place ... incredible!

Sorry to bother you with such a stupid issue

and again HNY !

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go: Weird problem with Substitute( ) function:
            BeatriceBeaubien

Hi chebfarid,

Thanks for sharing your observation. Odd but interesting none the less.

HNY,

Beatrice

On Jan 1, 2016, at 10:50, chebfarid <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

FileMaker Go: Weird problem with Substitute( ) function:

reply from chebfarid in Discussions - View the full discussion

I answer to myself

After adding a layout with some debug fields I finally managed to see what was going wrong: the html source is different when the page is loaded on the iPad ! (In both cases using a web viewer inside my database)

My search-string "<span dir=ltr>" changes to "<span dir="ltr">" and thus the substitution could never take place ... incredible!

Sorry to bother you with such a stupid issue

and again HNY !