8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 4:06 AM by nt_saurabh

How to store pictures on mac server using script?

nt_saurabh

Hi,

I want to store pictures (externally) on mac server from anywhere either mac or window client using FileMaker Pro 14 hosted on FileMaker Server.

Please help me about it.

• 1. Re: How to store pictures on mac server using script?
          nicolai

FileMaker has a native functionality to do just that.  Create a new field of a container type and go to Field Options/Storage. You can specify external storage there. Here is a full description:

Storing container field data externally | FileMaker

• 2. Re: How to store pictures on mac server using script?
            nt_saurabh

Yeah, you are correct. We can store the container data on server using local database but i don't like that.

Just i want to store container data through hosted file who is deploy on FileMaker Server 14 not locally.

There are no option for edit the base directory. I think that there should be some option to store the container data through script.

Please guide me.

• 3. Re: How to store pictures on mac server using script?
              nicolai

It works exactly the same way on the Server, just upload or host your database. You will need to transfer the files, the way to do it depends on how they are stored now.

The files on the server have to be stored inside FileMaker Server folder. If this is an issue you will need to look into using a plugin, such as Supercontainer by 360Works.

• 4. Re: How to store pictures on mac server using script?
                eoin

Firstly the title of your question is a bit confusing, why do you need to use a script to accomplish what you need?.

Secondly the help article posted for you covered the server implementation of what you seek.

...... "Are containers with external storage supported when hosted via FileMaker Server?

Yes, when a file is added to a container field that is configured for external storage, the files are automatically transferred to the server machine. A directory is created next to the database file within the "Databases" folder within the "FileMaker Server" directory.

Does a FileMaker Server administrator need to do anything special to the server's configuration to support containers configured for external data?

No, there is no additional configuration needed.

If I have a local database that already has external files inserted into a container field, do I have to manually move the files over to the Server, or can I use the database upload assistant within Server?

You do not need to move files over manually, you can simply use the Upload Database assistant. It transfers the external container field objects to the correct folders on your server for hosting automatically." .......

When you upload and host a file to a FM Server it stores all container files within the RC_Data folder in the same directory as your hosted file.

The RC_data folder has a structure relative to the table name the container resides in.

There is no need to segregate different container fields into different paths as FMS handles all this for you.

Try uploading your file and explore the RC_Data subfolder in the server and see if it is what you need.

• 5. Re: How to store pictures on mac server using script?
                  nt_saurabh

I tried this thing. This is working perfectly for local & hosted file on server.

But in that case, File will be heavy with container data. Exactly, i want to store the container data using "store only a reference to the file" instead of actual store in file. It don't store the data on server ( RC_Data subfolder ) if i check the "store only a reference to the file". It fails.

Can i use "store only a reference to the file" option instead of actual store on both location (FileMaker Pro 14 file & RC_Data subfolder ) ?

• 6. Re: How to store pictures on mac server using script?
                    Mike_Mitchell

nt_saurabh wrote:

Can i use "store only a reference to the file" option instead of actual store on both location (FileMaker Pro 14 file & RC_Data subfolder ) ?

I don't think you understand how the external storage feature works. When you store data externally, it's not stored inside the FileMaker file. It's stored in a directory managed by FileMaker Server. There's only one copy of the asset, inside the RC_Data folder.

So there's no need to be concerned about the size of the database file; it will only contain a pointer to the external asset.

• 7. Re: How to store pictures on mac server using script?
                      eoin

As Mike has already suggested only a reference to the file in the RC_Data folder is stored within the actual fmp12 file.

I  can't see what your objection is to storing the files on the server in the RC_Data folder,

In fact I should suggest it offers a better method of centralised storage where users have no access to the remote storage area other than through the defined layouts. Tampering with external storage can render the links invalid and may cause data corruption.

External files can be backed up as part of the FMS backup routine.

Additional data paths for both the hosted file and the container data can be specified in the configuration of FMS allowing you to move both the database file and it's RC_Data folder to other dedicated disk storage systems (e.g. Raid) connected to the server. Leaving you the ability to have your OS & FMS installation on one partition and database and external stored files on another.

In my own case, I use nMacPro as a FMS with the OS, FMS, Database file and external stored container data all on the internal SSD. We do hourly backups to an external thunderbolt raid system and take an off site copy in the evening. My current Database file is about 800mb with approximately 18Gb of external stored container field data.

Backups are very fast and users don't notice any hit in performance.

If I were not to use the external storage my database file would be in excess of 20Gb.

• 8. Re: How to store pictures on mac server using script?
                        nt_saurabh

Thanks to all...!!!

I got my answer.