4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 1:19 PM by TSGal

Error in the online documentation

CarstenLevin

Hi,

I am not sure about where to report errors in the documentation, hope that it is OK I do it here.

Overview of Button Bars in FileMaker Pro | FileMaker

• "A button bar cannot have conditional formatting applied to it"

Answer ID: 14410

We are using conditional formatting for our button bars all the time. It works like a beauty:-)

Best regards

Carsten

• 1. Re: Error in the online documentation
          TSGal

CarstenLevin:

Thank you for your post.

Even with your database file, using FileMaker Pro 14.0.4 under both Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.11.2, I am unable to see or add Conditional Formatting to the Button Bar itself; only to the individual segments.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Error in the online documentation
            CarstenLevin

Hi TSGal,

You are right, and I agree that you can read the instruction like that. But when the instruction did not mention that you can actually add conditional formatting to the individual segments within the button bar, then the information is, at least as I understand it, misinforming the user.

It is true that you can not add conditional formatting to the Button Bar (BTW: Love the Button Bar)!

I really tried to read the documentation in detail when I wrote the report and and at that time there was no reference to being able to add conditional formatting to the segments. It just stated the general explanation: "A button bar cannot have conditional formatting applied to it".

On Saturday the text was:

• "A button bar cannot have conditional formatting applied to it"

Today it is:

• Conditional formatting may be applied to button bar segments, but not the button bar object

Which is in my opinion absolutely correct.

And it was probably changed to this new version on Tuesday this week.

Created: Jan 20, 2015 06:40 PM PST
            Last Updated: Jan 05, 2016 10:53 AM PST

Best regards

Carsten

• 3. Re: Error in the online documentation
              TorstenBernhard

Credits to Carsten!

• 4. Re: Error in the online documentation
                TSGal

CarstenLevin:

Thanks for the explanation.  You are indeed correct, and I have tracked down the Support Technician who updated the Knowledge Base article on Tuesday.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.