3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 5:10 AM by mikebeargie

FileMaker Theme Contest .... Let's have  submissions of custom theme files ?

binu.alexander

tthere are so many sites for free themes for other platforms ... Let's use this thread to get a library of user generated themes for all to share and use !

Let's see how many themes we get and also which one gets most Likes !

• 1. Re: FileMaker Theme Contest .... Let's have  submissions of custom theme files ?
          mikebeargie

I'd like to encourage community involvement like this, but it's courteous to start out with your own contribution as an example first. Also, you marked this as a question, which it isn't.

That said, Richard Carlton ran a theme contest in the past for his popular FMStartingPoint solution:

FM Starting Point Layout Design Contest

It had a specific set of rules and goals. If you're trying to organize a theme contest, it might also be wise to specify the parameters for a theme, since it can vary wildly across the platform.

For example: Theme must include a layout optimized for each: Desktop, WebDirect, iPad, iPhone. Or: Theme must be customized from the invoices starter solution.

Lastly, a reward never hurt either. RCC had cash prizes for their contest. Not saying that's what you should offer, but something similar might be nice.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Theme Contest .... Let's have  submissions of custom theme files ?
            binu.alexander

Thanks .. Mike ...

Firstly , I marked this as a question by mistake .. It was not intended to be a question except that I wasn't sure if anyone would come forward.

Secondly, I am working on building some custom themes ..  I am not terribly good at UI  but I am doing experiments

I will post them here soon ...

Thirdly ,  I am not in a position to give any rewards or hold an actual contest !

But I think the best part of open source platforms is when people create and share stuff without out expecting anything in return . 

Jut because Filemaker isn't open source , we don't to always do this just for a reward do we  ?

Just to add :

People like yourself are invaluable to the community ... but i don't think you help out people for rewards or recognition ( Even though I know your contribution has been acknowledged widely )

It's people like you who make the experience of Filemaker great ..  I would have quit long ago if there wasn't such a great place to learn , discuss and share ! I have tried learning some other platforms and I can say that FM community is one of the really nice places to learn even for people with no background in IT like me

Thats why I think  a free to use library of themes would be fantastic ...

Anyways looks like no one is interested so far ... No replies on this thread so far

• 3. Re: FileMaker Theme Contest .... Let's have  submissions of custom theme files ?
              mikebeargie

Sounds good, I wanted to point out what has been done similarly in the past so you can make updates as needed. Thanks!