2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2016 10:08 PM by xjab

How can I select certain records to be printed from a list view layout?

xjab

Hi all-

I'm relatively new to Filemaker - I've gotten pretty good at laying out flat file and fairly simple relational databases. A few years ago I was proficient at programming in PHP and MySQL so I got good at using variables to pass information back and forth between the front end user and the database. This is one of the things that's stumping me as a filemaker novice-I'm not always sure how the data is being passed back and forth. I'm saying this so maybe you'll go easy on me if I'm asking something totally straightforward!

My issue at hand: I have a "renovation" database that has a list of addresses and within each address several fields that are formatted to print a "work order" for each address. I have no problem printing these "work order" s one at a time BUT what I'm trying to do is print a range of "work orders" that have been selected in a List View of  all the records. Can I have a checkbox on each record in List View called "PRINT" then check say 4 or 5 boxes and have a script that will turn the checked records into a found set that I can print?

Thanks much!

James

• 1. Re: How can I select certain records to be printed from a list view layout?
          keywords

That would be, as you suspect, "totally straightforward"—

1.     make your PRINT field a number field. In the Data Inspector, set this field as checkbox set, with the single value 1 (create that as a value list—see screenshot).

2.     for a nice effect, resize the field to show only the checkbox, not the 1 beside it. Now, whenever this checkbox is selected it will either add or remove the value 1 from the field.

3.     make the first step of your Print script Perform Find, and find any records with 1 in the PRINT field.

4.     once the records you wish to print are checked, run your script.

Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 2.14.05 pm.png

• 2. Re: How can I select certain records to be printed from a list view layout?
            xjab

keywords-

Thank you much for the reply - that did the trick! I realize I got caught up thinking like a web programmer in that you have to parse the data from a webpage before you can manipulate it. Filemaker makes it MUCH easier by storing your entries as you move from field to field. This was a much simpler solution than I realized.

Cheers