5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 7:43 AM by DanielShanahan

Need advice on employee scheduling

jmyers.svt

I currently have a work order management database that we use daily. It encompasses everything from our customers, inventory, work orders, etc.

Right now, the way we have it set up, is each technicians home page has a portal that shows their jobs (work orders table) scheduled for that day. Also have a tab for all open work orders, incomplete, etc etc.

The layout the dispatcher sees, shows all the techs and their schedules for the date she is viewing using a portal for each tech. From there she can schedule a new job according to what tech has time available.

Now the problem that I am running into is a much broader scope of tech scheduling. I have part time techs that dont work every day. I need a way to somehow note that they are "Off" for the day or whatever it may be. Or maybe if they are in training or if we have meetings or something. Currently, I create a new work order for that day or time and schedule it to that tech, but that gets old and really clutters up the work order list.

I am looking for some good advice on different ways to accomplish what I am looking to do and have room to grow for the future in case we may need to add more features. If you need information on my database, please do not hesitate to ask and I will provide all the details you need.

Thanks in Advance

• 1. Re: Need advice on employee scheduling
          DanielShanahan

jmyers.svt wrote:

I have part time techs that dont work every day. I need a way to somehow note that they are "Off" for the day or whatever it may be.

One approach is to have a field called "Available" or "Active" or something of the like.  Could be a Yes|NULL, Yes|No, 1|0, etc. and use a checkbox to note of the tech is available.

Or maybe if they are in training or if we have meetings or something.

This is potentially more complex then if the tech is not available for a period of time, as above.  You'll probably want to track the technician if s/he is in training (perhaps they are paid for attending? perhaps they need hours for continuing ed for certification?) or meetings.

Have you implemented a calendar like SoSimple or SeedCode?  Both have resource (i.e. Technicians, Vehicles, Conference Rooms, etc.) tracking.

Currently, I create a new work order for that day or time and schedule it to that tech, but that gets old and really clutters up the work order list.

I'm not really clear on what this means but it could be that a calendar solution will help.

• 2. Re: Need advice on employee scheduling
            jmyers.svt

I have not implemented a calendar solution as of yet. I was looking at them but have not been able to dive into it yet. I need to be able to integrate our current work order scheduling into it. On each work order, we have a scheduled date, time in, and time out. Im sure it wouldnt be hard to integrate that into one of the calendar solutions, correct?

• 3. Re: Need advice on employee scheduling
              DanielShanahan

It sounds to me that you need an Events table.  Work Orders is fine for scheduling jobs but as you noted in your original post, you would like a way to track the availability of all techs.  If a tech is on vacation, attending a conference, at a meeting, etc. then these are events.  Work orders are also events.  The Events table gives you a view of all techs and all activities.

A calendar is a way of displaying event data but you don't necessarily need a calendar.  However, one of the advantages of a calendar is to see "non-events".  That is, see times when nothing is scheduled.  That is harder to do in a FMP list view or detail view (essentially, it is looking for a 0 found count).

jmyers.svt wrote:

Im sure it wouldnt be hard to integrate that into one of the calendar solutions, correct?

Hard to say.  A lot depends on your data, what you want to see, how you want to see it, and your ability to integrate third party solutions.  Calendars are not trivial so I wouldn't underestimate the amount of work involved.  Fortunately, the two examples I mentioned in #1 above have excellent support.

• 4. Re: Need advice on employee scheduling
                jmyers.svt

Would you care to explain your "events" table? I am intrigued by the idea, but how would I incorporate that into an existing solution? Have the dates and times in the events table, then tie them to a work order? Just trying to get my brain to grasp the concept.

• 5. Re: Need advice on employee scheduling
                  DanielShanahan

Create the following table/fields:

EVENT::ID

EVENT::workOrderID

EVENT::technicianID

EVENT::customerID

EVENT::dateStart

EVENT::dateEnd

EVENT::timeStart

EVENT::timeEnd

EVENT::desciption

The EVENT table allows you to track your techs for non-work order tasks.  You'll need to add work order info (foreign key, date and time) so the EVENT table has all of your activities for any given date/time.  For non-work order tasks the EVENT::workOrderID and EVENT::customerID would be empty.

HTH