4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 3:40 PM by EMH

Need Help with Password Issues

EMH

I posted this on a previous 2011 discussion question but suspect it may be difficult to find given the age and title, so I am creating a new question. I just purchased a new MBP so I thought I'd give FMP (14) a try again after being frustrated with this same issue a few years ago (I used FMP extensively from v.1 - v.9. My desire is to encrypt a db (or I believe they are no called 'Solutions' now); that is I want a PASSWORD to ALWAYS be required, regardless of the account. I installed FMP14 on the new MBP, performed the upgrade, and created a dummy two field file called Untitled. With the db open, I went to File Options-> Open-> Log in Using -> Account Name and Password (though I'd have preferred JUST password). I left the Account as 'Admin' and typed "1234" for the password. I received  the message: "This file will be opened automatically using the specified account. To use a different account, hold down the Option key (Mac OS) ...while opening the file."  All seems well and good, then when I try to open the file using Admin/1234, I get this message: "The account and password you entered cannot be used to access this file. Please try again"   Arrgggh! I tried this numerous times, experimenting with different combinations, sometimes trying to change the admin name, but get the message "The account name and password you entered does not match those for any Filemaker account (when I know they are names and passwords I've used with previous iterations of the 'Untitled DB' experiment).

To make matters worse, when I created Untitled 4 BUT stayed in the file rather than closing and reopening it, I went back to the File Options and noticed that the number of dots in the password field had increased significantly from 4 to 20!

I also tried leaving the Account field empty and entering the '1234' PW - and got the "The account and password you entered cannot be used to access this file. Please try again" message.

Here is all I want to do:

Create a 3 field DB that no matter who the user is, a PW is required to be typed in before the DB info is displayed and I need this to also work on my iPhone in FMP-Go.

Can anyone help a fellow out?

I will be forever grateful!

Signed,

Frustrated in OK

• 1. Re: Need Help with Password Issues
          steveromig

I posted this on a previous 2011 discussion question but suspect it may be difficult to find given the age and title, so I am creating a new question. I just purchased a new MBP so I thought I'd give FMP (14) a try again after being frustrated with this same issue a few years ago (I used FMP extensively from v.1 - v.9. My desire is to encrypt a db (or I believe they are no called 'Solutions' now); that is I want a PASSWORD to ALWAYS be required, regardless of the account. I installed FMP14 on the new MBP, performed the upgrade, and created a dummy two field file called Untitled. With the db open, I went to File Options-> Open-> Log in Using -> Account Name and Password (though I'd have preferred JUST password). I left the Account as 'Admin' and typed "1234" for the password. I received  the message: "This file will be opened automatically using the specified account. To use a different account, hold down the Option key (Mac OS) ...while opening the file."  All seems well and good, then when I try to open the file using Admin/1234, I get this message: "The account and password you entered cannot be used to access this file. Please try again"   Arrgggh! I tried this numerous times, experimenting with different combinations, sometimes trying to change the admin name, but get the message "The account name and password you entered does not match those for any Filemaker account (when I know they are names and passwords I've used with previous iterations of the 'Untitled DB' experiment).

To make matters worse, when I created Untitled 4 BUT stayed in the file rather than closing and reopening it, I went back to the File Options and noticed that the number of dots in the password field had increased significantly from 4 to 20!

I also tried leaving the Account field empty and entering the '1234' PW - and got the "The account and password you entered cannot be used to access this file. Please try again" message.

Here is all I want to do:

Create a 3 field DB that no matter who the user is, a PW is required to be typed in before the DB info is displayed and I need this to also work on my iPhone in FMP-Go.

Can anyone help a fellow out?

I will be forever grateful!

Signed,

Frustrated in OK

It sounds like you actually didn't create the desired account name and password first before adding it to the FILE OPTIONS dialog box.

In your sample file, click FILE > MANAGE > SECURITY and add whatever account name and password information you want there.  You can add as many account name and passwords as you need in this dialog.  It is this information that you will later use to access your file / solution.

Then, you want to unselect the LOG IN USING option under File Options so that FileMaker Pro prompts you overtime to enter in a valid account name and password.  If you enter something here, FileMaker Pro will try to log in automatically using this account name and password and will display an error message similar to the one you are already seeing if the account name and password does not match one that is entered in the Manage Security dialog box discussed above.

Doing this will prompt you to login into your solution on both your MacBook Pro and when used with FileMaker Go.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Need Help with Password Issues
            BruceRobertson

Sounds like you are confusing several things.

1. First of all, if you do not want any automatic logins to occur, leave the options empty in File Options as shown.

2. File Options is NOT where you set up security for the file! Anything you enter here has nothing to do with defining actual accounts and privileges. Those must be set up using File > Manage > Security.

3. The number of dots - by design - has no correlation to the number of characters in the actual password.

4. Specify account(s) and password(s) as shown.

no auto login.png

Manage Security.png

specify password.png

• 3. Re: Need Help with Password Issues
              siplus

You are presenting a problem that millions of Filemaker users don't have, even if they did not use "extensively" Filemaker as you did. That's point one.

Point two is your "desire", which looks like "I want to always have to use a key to enter my house, even if I leave the door open".

Point 3 is counting the dots. Which, as a minimum, goes against point 1.

• 4. Re: Need Help with Password Issues
                EMH

Thanks much, Steve and Bruce for you helpful, professional and patient responses. You both were absolutely correct with regard to my confusion. Works as designed. Appreciate the help.

Siplus, you must be a hit at parties!