1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2016 9:36 AM by Markus Schneider

Print webpage

desireemm1

Hello does anyone why the print button doesn't work on the webpage.  I published filemaker on the web but the users cant print.

Please help

• 1. Re: Print webpage
          CarstenLevin

Hi Desireemm,

You do not write which version of FileMaker you use, but I assume that it is FileMaker 14 and WebDirect. And I assume that it is a standard print scriptstep you are using.

Try turning on compatibility check for WebDirect:

wdprint01.png

Now you will see that the print scriptstep are greyed out = not compatible.

wdprint02.png

While most scriptsteps actually work fine with WebDirect those of them going outside the browser window, requiring file or other local PC interaction will not work. Print and creation of PDF's are among those scriptsteps that are not working.

We have some workarounds for this ... please write a little bit about your goal and I and others will come up with some possible solutions.

Best regards

Carsten

• 2. Re: Print webpage
            desireemm1

I apologize for that I am using Filemaker pro 11 on windows 7

• 3. Re: Print webpage
              CarstenLevin

And may I ask: Then it is Instant Web Publishing you are using (IWP)?

If this is the case the answer I gave is still correct.

Here is the same greyed out "Print" scriptstep in FileMaker 11.

wdprint03.png

Best regards

Carsten

• 4. Re: Print webpage
                CarstenLevin

And, please explain your purpose/the situations where you need printouts, and I will come up with some suggestions on how to do.

• 5. Re: Print webpage
                  desireemm1

I am using IWP and the users need to add a record then print it out to have a supervisor sign then they put it in a folder with the travelers paperwork.  so they need to be able to print

• 6. Re: Print webpage
                    desireemm1

is webdirect a separate purchase

• 7. Re: Print webpage
                      CarstenLevin

WebDirect is build in to FileMaker 13 and 14 Server.

WebDirect is build into the standard server, so you could say that it is for free, but it is counting connections.

Only one connection is included for free, more can be purchased in bundles of 5.

The connections are concurrent, not per user. Thus if you are having 15 users, but not more than 11 at the same time, you can make do with the 1 for free plus 2x5.

WebDirect is included already with server 13, but a lot of small problems was ironed out with FileMaker 14 and the performance is much better in FileMaker 14.

Best regards

Carsten

• 8. Re: Print webpage
                        CarstenLevin

A few solutions:

• If the supervisor has an iPad, then you can install FileMaker Go (for free) and he can use sign (standard function in Filemaker Go).
                        • If you need to have a print on paper  you can make a layout that work as well as possible on a web page and just print using the web browsers print function. Not ideal, but it works.
                        • If you want a nice printout, without the compromises by printing from a browser, you can have a robot (FileMaker Pro) running on your server executing a script creating a pdf and putting this PDF into a container field that can be accessed by the user – or email it to the user. Then the user can print the PDF.

Best regards

Carsten

Ps. I like the option with the signature on the iPad.

• 9. Re: Print webpage
                          CarstenLevin

Btw: Do not compare WebDirect to IWP. WebDirect is not just an update to IWP.

It is more fair to compare WebDirect to FileMaker Pro running in a browser. Especially if you use it with FileMaker 14 Server.

Exept for a few details it is like working with FileMaker Pro. Two important missing functions are print and create PDF.

Best regards

Carsten

• 10. Re: Print webpage
                            desireemm1

ok so are you saying I have to upgrade from 11 to 13 or 14 to to use webdirect???

• 11. Re: Print webpage
                              CarstenLevin

Hi Desireem,

Yes, to use WebDirect you should use FileMaker server 14.

WebDirect was introduced with FileMaker 13 but is a lot better with FileMaker 14.

Best regards

Carsten

• 12. Re: Print webpage
                                Markus Schneider

you need FM Server for webd, AFAIK there is no longer an update available (if You are just running FM11 and not FM Server, there was never an update from client to server). Further on, You need connection packs for accessing the FM server over webd/iOS. There are packages of 5 connections, the Server (13 or 14) comes with one single connection (concurrent connections)

webd can't print. You can have an iOS device and use the 'sign' functionality. You can also have another FileMaker client running in the network as a 'robot' - that creates a pdf from the pages to print (user separate layouts, not the web layout, for best results) and sends that pdf to the client machine. You might google for 'Filemaker robot print' for further information

• 13. Re: Print webpage
                                  CarstenLevin

Hi Markus, please read the answers already given. I guess that everything is already covered above:-)

• 14. Re: Print webpage
                                    desireemm1

thank you everyone, I just got our order in for Filemaker Server 14 with 5 concurrent connections that's why I'm asking all the questions.  So from what I am understanding is that those users that have the filemaker app on their pc need to start using webdirect.  They don't need to change schema just enter data

thank you

1 2 Previous Next